Womankind is recruiting for the role of Finance Officer to join its dynamic staff team based in their North London offices (Working from home during the current pandemic). The successful candidate will play a vital role in helping Womankind run their finance function and achieve its organisational objectives.We are looking for an articulate and detail-oriented Finance Officer with proven track record in Charity Accounting.
The role is essential for the smooth running of the finance function. On a daily basis you will be undertaking international financial transactions including payment runs, bank and income reconciliations and month and year end processes.
The position will be suitable for someone who is flexible, reliable, highly numerate and interested in contributing to the Women’s’ Rights Movement.
This position is responsible for ensuring that all financial information on the accounting system is accurate and inputted in a timely manner. To provide direct support to the Team in maintaining effective financial controls and systems in line with the WomanKind’s financial policy and financial procedures. This post will need to work closely with the rest of the Finance Team and all budget holders to ensure coherence and consistency of data entry and management of petty cash.
The Finance Officer is a member of WOMANKIND’s Finance and Resources team, which is made up of the Management Accountant and the Project Finance Manager under the leadership of the Director of Finance and Resources. The role will work closely with and provide support to all members of the Team.
This post will be tasked with delivering three key areas of responsibility as detailed below.
1. Financial Accounting & Processing (50%)
- To enter all general and purchase ledger transactions into the accounting system and to ensure that it is updated and maintained in an accurate and timely manner.
- To prepare monthly bank reconciliations and, working closely with the Fundraising Team, reconcile the income on the accounting system with that on Raiser’s Edge.
- To work closely with budget holders to ensure financial records are maintained and correctly coded in accordance with accounting (SORP) requirements, donors and the Board of Trustees approved annual budget.
- To ensure all supporting transactions have been properly reconciled with clear audit trails.
- To ensure timely processing of Purchase Ledger: payments to suppliers by preparing payment runs for approval and uploading to online banking.
- To ensure the security of all monies received, also ensuring security of cash, cheques and to be responsible for the banking of all cash and cheques received by the organisation in accordance with WK financial procedures.
- To prepare and input the monthly Credit Card reconciliations and postings to the ledger.
- To ensure that the Sterling and Foreign petty cash is properly managed.
- Ordering/purchasing office supplies and stationery for general office use.
- Monitor and manage the Finance email inbox and provide support to the Finance and Resources Committee.
2. Month and Year-end reporting and Audit (20%)
- Prepare month end reconciliations and assist with the month end closing process
- Assist with the annual audit and accounts preparation including the preparation of the Trial balance and year end reconciliations and schedules.
3. Programme Support (30%)
- To manage the payment of all overseas transfers to Womankind partners and local coordinators.
- To ensure all cash and currency needs for country visits are met in accordance with Womankind policy and procedures
- To work with staff to ensure expenditure relating to all travel is reconciled accurately and on time .
Undertake other responsibilities not outlined above which are commensurate with a role of this nature and which have been discussed and agreed with the line manager.
The candidate must be committed to the mission, vision, values and aims of WOMANKIND Worldwide as it seeks to support and speak out about women’s human rights and development internationally.
All posts are expected to contribute towards developing a supportive working environment, and demonstrate a commitment to professionalism and respect, transparency and accountability and uphold quality standards as outlined in policies and procedures, and in compliance with WOMANKIND’s Equal Opportunities Policy.
Reporting Structure: This position reports to: The Management Accountant
Essential Experience and Skills
- Must be adept in use of the MS Office Suite, particularly Excel and Word.
- At least one year experience of Sage Line 50, MS Business Central, or similar computerised accounting systems
- The ability to input information quickly and accurately, with attention to detail and deadlines
- A good understanding of the Charity SORP and accounting concepts, including their application.
- A minimum of 3 years accounting experience in the charity sector.
- Ability to work autonomously to achieve agreed objectives and organisational targets with minimal supervision.
- High level of organisational skills with exceptional attention to detail and a thorough and systematic approach to diagnosing and solving problems.
- Ability to use initiative and to suggest new ideas for service improvement
- Must have honesty and integrity.
- Must have good written and oral communication skills.
- Must be organised, flexible and be able to manage/prioritise own workload and work under pressure.
- Ability to work collaboratively and communicate effectively with colleagues across Womankind
- Be able to work as part of a team.
- Part qualified or similar (AAT, CIMA, ACCA etc)
- Charity Fund accounting and generally accepted accounting principles.
- Computerised accounting systems, bookkeeping and office administration.
- Have respect for wide range of other cultures and diversity.
- Commitment to Equal Opportunities issues.
- Be willing to work over and above standard hours when necessary and appropriate
- Be able to maintain confidentiality at all times
- Have empathy with the aims and objectives of Womankind Worldwide.
Terms and conditions
Up to £30,587 per annum
25 days per annum plus statutory holidays and Christmas break
Womankind has a contributory pension scheme in place
How to apply
To apply for this position please complete an application form which can be found on our website.
Due to the high volume of applications we receive, we regret we will not be able to respond personally to applicants who are not short-listed. If you have not heard from us within three weeks from the closing date, please assume you have been unsuccessful on this occasion. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Closing date for applications: Friday, 9 October 2020, 12pm - noon
First round interviews: w/c TBC
Second round interviews: w/c TBC