*We particularly encourage applications from someone who is Black, or a Person of Colour.
This internship is a positive action initiative under the Equality Act 2010.
We are looking for a Fundraising Intern to join the Fundraising & Marketing Team for 12 months. You will have the opportunity to learn about a range of funding streams and hopefully kickstart your career in fundraising and marketing.
The Fundraising Intern will report to the Trusts & Grants Manager and Fundraising Manager (Digital) and will work closely with colleagues across the organisation as well as supporters and other external stakeholders. This position is located in the UK. You will be joining a dedicated team of people who care deeply about the difference we are able to make, working with women’s movements across the world. You will find more information about Womankind on our website.
*We aim at all times to recruit the person who is most suited to the job and welcome applications from people of all backgrounds – men and women, people of all ages, sexual orientations, nationalities, religions and beliefs.
However, as part of Womankind’s commitment to addressing the under-representation of Black and People of Colour in our organisation and in fundraising and marketing roles in the wider charity sector, we particularly encourage applications from Black and People of Colour candidates.
As a feminist organisation, working to dismantle systems of oppression that discriminate against women, girls and gender diverse people is at the heart of the organisation’s mission. As part of our anti-racism pledge co-created by Womankind staff and trustees in 2020-21 we made commitments across all areas of our work including pledging to increase access to careers in the sector for black and women of colour through paid internships especially in less diverse functional areas such as fundraising. A recent report of diversity in the UK fundraising sector found only 9% of fundraisers were Black, or a Person of Colour.
This internship opportunity is only open to applicants who are based in and have the right to work in the United Kingdom. We are not able to consider applicants who require visa sponsorship.
The role is ideal for someone with an interest in fundraising and women’s rights. We are a small team, but we cover a wide range of funding streams. These include Individual Giving, Community & Events, Corporate Partnerships, Major Donors, Trusts & Foundations and Statutory & Institutional. This role will provide vital support across our funding streams, helping the team to expand our contacts, refine our fundraising ‘asks’ and ensure our messages reach the correct audiences. We hope the role will offer a solid introduction to fundraising for women’s rights and an insight into a range of funding streams which will support your career in fundraising & marketing.
The Fundraising Intern will support Fundraising & Marketing colleagues with a range of tasks, including research, writing and development of fundraising materials. There will also be occasional support needed with administrative tasks. Duties will include:
- Managing and responding to enquiries to the Supporter Care inbox with excellent stewardship and supporter communication.
- Writing one-page project summaries (live and upcoming projects)
- Promoting Community & Events fundraising (esp. International Women’s Day, 8th March 2022)
- Providing admin support (eg. scanning Gift Aid declarations, updating mail preferences)
- Work closely with the Fundraising Manager (Digital) to support digital fundraising campaigns. Activities could include updating website and email communications, responding to enquiries from supporters and external stakeholders, analysing data and tracking results.
- Support the delivery of Womankind’s email strategy which includes planning, writing, and designing compelling supporter emails that keep Womankind supporters and donors inspired and informed.
- Assisting in the planning and production of impactful online content such as videos, graphics, blogs etc. that support digital fundraising and communications. Working with the communications team to ensure every output is on-brand.
- With the Individual Giving & Communications teams, developing fundraising-related social media posts to boost online income.
- Support with developing content for fundraising pages of the Womankind website, creating and/or editing and updating content and working with Fundraising & Communications teams to develop new website functions to optimise performance.
- Track and analyse donor data, campaign results and digital analytics from various sources such as Mailchimp, Google Analytics and Raisers Edge to inform performance reports/KPIs and future digital decision-making.
Trusts, Foundations, Statutory & Institutional Donors
- Researching trusts and creating donor profiles
- Supporting the annual Small Trust Mailing and reporting to givers
- Supporting the schedule of 6 month and annual reporting to trusts
- Supporting the Gala event (10th March 2022)
- Supporting upcoming webinars for external stakeholders
- Researching prospects for corporate and major donor income streams
- Helping to thank our supporters
- Helping to gather information for reporting back to our supporters on particular projects
- Participate in cross-organisational initiatives and groups – such as cross-organisational project groups – as agreed with your line manager and required.
The role may also undertake other responsibilities not outlined above which are commensurate with a role of this nature and which will be discussed and agreed with the line manager.
The role must be committed to the mission, vision, values and aims of Womankind Worldwide as it seeks to support and speak out about women’s human rights and development internationally.
All posts are expected to contribute towards developing a supportive working environment at Womankind and to demonstrate commitment to Womankind’s values and ways of working.
Knowledge and Skills
- Excellent organisational and administrative skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong IT skills & digital literacy (Word, Excel, Social Media channels.. etc)
- Numeracy skills
- Fluent in English, including written English
- Strong eye for detail
- Ability to prioritise, schedule and meet deadlines
- Interest in women’s rights and/or international development
- Creative & proactive attitude
- Personal experience of fundraising for a charity
- Event management
- Experience of analysing and presenting data
- Experience of working with a database
- Good research skills
- Customer service/supporter care experience
- An interest in or knowledge of Womankind’s focus countries including: Ethiopia, Kenya, Nepal, Uganda, Zimbabwe
Terms and conditions
£23,635 per annum
28 days per annum plus statutory holidays (3 of these days are to be taken over the Christmas and new year period when the office is closed).
Womankind has a contributory pension scheme in place
We offer a wide range of flexible working options, enhanced maternity leave, group pension scheme and free eye tests
This position is located in the UK.
How to apply
Womankind Worldwide welcomes all applicants and values diversity. We are committed to being an equal opportunities employer.
To apply for this position please follow the button below.
Due to the high volume of applications, we receive, we regret we will not be able to respond personally to applicants who are not shortlisted. If you have not heard from us within three weeks from the closing date, please assume you have been unsuccessful on this occasion. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Deadline for applications: 6th December 2021 12:00 noon
1st round interviews: 13th December 2021 TBC
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.