- Purpose of the Job
To be responsible for maximising all income streams and the profile of Woodside Animal Centre by successfully developing, implementing and evaluating income generation activities, managing and improving social media activity and encouraging donations. To supervise and develop the fundraising team in order to deliver the required annual income and profit target for the branch.
Although this role is part of the wider fundraising team, it is primarily focused on:
- Identifying & generating grant and trust income.
- To grow the volunteer network.
- Identifying legacy income streams.
- Generating income from regular giving schemes.
- Responsibility for social media development including the branch website.
- Supporting, mentoring, coaching and developing members of the fundraising team.
- General Accountabilities
- Contributing to and delivering against annual income and profit budgets, including cost control and reduction where it is identified.
- Contributing to and delivering against the branch’s Income Generation & Fundraising
- Developing team members through coaching & mentoring to ensure the future requirements of the branch are met.
- Creating business plans for income generation activities, including profit forecasts.
- Supporting the programme for recruiting, managing and motivating volunteers.
- Ensuring all fundraising activities are carried out in line with health and safety, GDPR (data protection) and fundraising/charity regulations.
- Ensuring that the Charity’s name, image, logo and intellectual property are protected.
- Regularly reporting and evaluating areas of responsibility to the Branch Commercial Manager.
- Devising multi-year approaches to developing reliable income sources for the charity where possible, with a focus on long term fundraising as well as short term opportunities.
- Maintaining an inventory of equipment and assets owned by the branch, and ensuring these items are stored appropriately and remain in an adequate state of repair.
- To ensure that all Charity property, materials and resources provided for fundraising activities, including badges, tins etc. are recorded and returned in a timely manner.
- Responding to fundraising enquiries on behalf of the wider Fundraising Team.
- Supporting with fundraising activities on behalf of the wider Fundraising Team.
- Working alongside and communicating with the wider branch and national society to maximise income generation opportunities (e.g. Animal Centre, Charity Shops, Front of House).
- Specific Accountabilities
- To act as the key point of contact for all income generation matters relating to Woodside Animal Centre.
- To be the support and line manager for other department reports and ensure their future business development meets the needs of the branch on an ongoing basis.
- To develop our regular giving schemes and market them to new donors, as well as focusing on retention of existing donors, building loyalty and providing a reliable source of ongoing funding for the Charity.
- To develop and maintain a progress report showing the current status of all grant/trust applications, including deadlines.
- To represent the Charity at external events to create & recruit new donors, and to undertake any presentations to potential funding bodies when necessary.
- To hold fundraising events/provide talks to attract new donors and raise awareness of our regular giving schemes.
- To develop and write innovative and compelling grant proposals for submission to funding bodies, and to compile the components of each grant application/submission in accordance with the grant organisation’s requirements.
- To liaise with staff across the site and with Trustees to ensure projects are appropriately identified for grant applications.
- To ensure that all successful grant applications are accurately audited and that gifts are spent within the time frame requested by funders.
- To submit timely reports to trusts and other donors to meet their monitoring and evaluation requirements.
- To work alongside the Community and Events Fundraising Coordinator to plan how our regular giving schemes and legacies will be promoted at events.
- To work alongside the Marketing, Communications and Digital Fundraising Coordinator to ensure that information on our regular giving schemes (and grant/trust information where appropriate) have a presence on our website and social media platforms
- To ensure that all social media opportunities are maximised to maximum potential.
- Additional duties
- To carry out such additional tasks as directed.
- To attend meetings with Trustees as required
Education & Training
- Good level of both literacy and numeracy to at least GCSE level
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Good knowledge of the principles of fundraising
- Customer service training
- A qualification in marketing/fundraising/staff development
- Member of the Institute of Fundraising
- A proven track record of successful project completion
- Retail and Customer Service
- Experience of working with, and managing, volunteers.
- Experience of charity fundraising
- Experience of bidding for funds through grants
Skills and Competencies
- Excellent communication skills both written and oral
- Attention to detail
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to prioritise work
- Good understanding of social media platforms
- Exceptional level of customer service, face to face or over the telephone.
- Negotiating skills
- Ability to work both in a team and in lone working situations.
- Reflective practitioner taking every opportunity to reflect on what went well/what could be done better
- The ability to work with, and construct, data relevant to the job role
- Positive, self-motivated, flexible and target driven.
- Sympathy and understanding of RSPCA aims and policies.
- Self / team motivated
- Calm under pressure
- Ability to relate well to people at all levels
- Ability to be flexible, willing to compromise rather than find the ‘perfect solution’
- Sensitive to the needs of patrons/donors
- Strong negotiating skills with proven ability/credibility in this area
- Can work successfully in partnership with internal and external stakeholders
Personal / Physical Attributes
- Generally fit and active (will be required to attend events across varying sites)