Head of Food Bank
North Paddington is an evolving dynamic charity providing emergency food and complementary support to local people experiencing temporary food crisis. Our mission is to draw on the strengths of the local community, provide an accessible service to meet the immediate needs of the local people, enabling them to find their route out of food poverty.
NPFB was set up to help address ‘hidden hunger’ and issues about the lack of food which affects thousands of people in crises across the UK’ with a particular emphasis to support the people in North Paddington. The organisers of the North Paddington Foodbank share in the vision of ‘creating a nation where no-one has to go hungry’ and join the collective effort to make London a Zero Hunger City.
We are looking for a Head of Food Bank to strategically lead the Charity in its endeavours to serve the community.
You will manage and work alongside the Head of Operations who is currently responsible for a team of 13 staff and further volunteer teams.
We are looking for a candidate with proven strategic and operational experience in leading teams of circa 15-20 staff with the ability to inspire, motivate, develop, and drive a committed, dedicated, and diverse staff and volunteer team. You will have strategic experience of running an organisation in the areas of Finance, Fundraising, Human Resources, Stakeholder and Trustee relationship management. The Head of Food Bank is responsible for ensuring the charity is best serving the local community and working in partnership to secure the best possible ideals from its wider stakeholder and partner organisations.
The role requires a self-starter who is competent leading cross functional activities who enjoys a hands-on approach. This position involves regular communication with the Trustee board on status and risks and with the Head of Operations to ensure effective management of the staff team and execution of the NPFB Code of Conduct.
Key Job Responsibilities:
- Working to ensure that the Head of Operations is supported and running an efficient, effective, service provision for the beneficiaries of the food bank.
- Offering guidance where needed and developing best practises in conjunction with Head of Operations.
- Advocate for and sustain a culture of continuous improvement.
- Ensure that contract performance and financial targets are consistently achieved and, where they fall short, take appropriate remedial action to drive improvement keeping the board informed.
- Liaising with the Head of Operations in regards to monitoring and evaluating the performance of supplier contracts. Driving performance and offering advice and support when required.
Organisational Strategy, Policies and Procedures
- Lead on the development and implementation of the Charity’s annual operational plan which incorporates goals and objectives that align with the strategic direction of the organisation.
- Review existing methods for monitoring and evaluation and propose and develop robust additional strategies to collect and report on qualitative and quantitative outcomes evidence for internal and external stakeholders.
- Ensure appropriate processes are in place to comply with legislative requirements and good practice including GDPR, health and safety, risk management and HR.
- Keep abreast with key developments in the Sector and with Charity Commission regulations
- Advocate for equality and diversity within the organisation, developing a culture of inclusion.
Financial planning and fundraising
- Develop a strong understanding of the charity’s finances.
- Produce annual budget and cashflow in conjunction with the trustees and monitor and update these regularly.
- Devise a one-year fundraising strategy incorporating diversification of funding streams. Identify suitable funders and submitting regular high-quality funding applications.
- Develop corporate support, individual giving, and community fundraising.
External stakeholder relationships
- Actively explore and promote opportunities for partnership and other forms of collaborative working.
- Develop and maintain strong professional relationships with Westminster Council Senior Managers, current and prospective donors, partnership organisations with a view to optimizing funding opportunities and client outcomes.
- Raise the profile of NPFB to external organisations to increase awareness of the need for our services, the difference we make and introducing new supporters to the organisation.
- Local government Influencing and advocacy on behalf of clients, tackling societal systems negatively impacting service users.
Support to the Board of Trustees
- Regular communication with the Trustees on key matters including risk, emerging issues, performance targets etc.
- Produce reports for Trustee Board meetings e.g., service delivery statistics, client profile and outcomes information; financial reporting and bid writing schedule.
Human Resources Planning and Management
- Responsible for full review of recruitment practice ensuring changes are made to the process to become up to date with current legislations and best practice as well as promoting diversity.
- Reviewing staffing needs and setting budgets with Head of Operations.
- Liaising with Head of Operations to ensure performance is being managed and staff are achieving targets in relation to customer service and working in line with the NPFB code of conduct.
Responsible to: Chair of the Trustees and Board of Trustees
The list of duties is not definitive, and the Charity reserves the right to amend the list of duties as the Charity and job role evolves.
This post will require an enhanced (full) DBS check to be undertaken.