We are looking for a Treasurer to join our Trustee Board, and lend their experience, skills and knowledge to financial management Xenia as a small charity. Xenia is a grassroots women’s organisation on a mission to create more inclusive, equal and welcoming communities. Founded in 2016, we deliver weekly workshops in Hackney, London (and now online) and this year launched a programme of training and resources for others to learn from our model.
As a nonhierarchical charitable organisation Trustees play a vital role, alongside Participants and the Organising Team, in our structure and governance. Trustees function as oversight to strategic, financial and legal affairs of the organisation, but also actively contribute to operations through lending their skills and knowledge to staff and the Organising Team.
If you are passionate about inclusive community organising and have lived experience of learning English, this role could be perfect for you! We are looking for someone with experience in finance or accountancy to work closely with our staff and organisers on our financial governance. You will be working with staff and organisers to help prepare quarterly financial reports for Trustee meetings and independent audits for the Charity Commission, help prepare annual budgets, approve large payments, maintain financial oversight and review financial policies.
We are especially keen to hear from you if you are part of the global majority, including anyone with an identity that is racialised as a minority in the UK. This includes those who identify as Black, Asian, and People of Colour.
The role of the trustees in Xenia
Trustees are a key part of Xenia’s non-hierarchical structure, along with the Organising
Team and Participants. Trustees are responsible for overseeing the strategic, legal and
financial affairs of the organisation, and to act in keeping with the charitable purposes as
declared in the objects of Xenia’s Constitution. The trustees must always act in the best
interests of Xenia, exercising due care and diligence.
It is the duty of all trustees to collectively:
▪ ensure that Xenia, its staff and volunteers, comply with its governing document
(Constitution), charity law, and any other relevant legislation or regulations;
▪ ensure that Xenia pursues its objects as defined in its governing document;
▪ ensure that Xenia applies its resources exclusively in pursuance of its objects (i.e. it
must not spend money on activities which are not included in the objects, however
worthwhile they may be);
▪ contribute actively to the trustees’ role in giving firm strategic direction to Xenia,
setting overall policies, defining goals, setting targets and evaluating performance
against agreed targets;
▪ safeguard the reputation, values and integrity of Xenia;
▪ ensure the financial stability of Xenia, protecting and managing Xenia’s resources;
▪ appoint and support paid staff and oversee the monitoring of their performance.
In particular, the treasurer trustee has the duty to:
▪ maintain an overview of Xenia’s financial affairs, including working with staff to
compile a financial report to The Charity Commission;
▪ support other trustees to make strategic financial decisions in Xenia’s best interest;
▪ work with staff to ensure that proper financial records are maintained.
Trustees are expected to attend all trustee meetings, which take place four times per year
at times agreed by the trustees, and usually last no more than 3 hours. Additionally the
treasurer will sit on the Finance and Fundraising Sub-group, which meets approximately 4
times per year for meetings that usually last no more than 1.5 hours.
The treasurer will also have several other responsibilities to fulfil outside of the above
mentioned meetings (see below) and the expected additional time commitment is
approximately 4 hours per month. All meetings are currently taking place online, however
trustees can claim out of pocket expenses incurred when travelling to meetings.
New trustees will attend an induction session with Xenia’s Organising Team prior to their
first trustee meeting. All trustees have a go-to staff team member who they are always
welcome to catch up with to ask questions, as well as being the go-to trustee for that staff
member for support from a trustee.
We also operate a Peer Support Circle for trustees, giving all trustees a chance to get to
know each other one-on-one, as well as share thoughts and ideas for what is going well and
what could be improved. This Peer Support Circle rotates on a quarterly basis at each
We don’t know you yet, so if you think you could deliver the role but don’t meet some
aspects of the person specification we would still love to hear from you.
▪ You have a commitment to reducing inequality, and a good understanding of
challenges faced by migrant communities and underrepresented women.
▪ You are comfortable working within a small, non hierarchical organising structure.
▪ You are dedicated to improving connections between different communities, and
tackling social isolation.
▪ You feel aligned to Xenia’s values:
- - We welcome all women
- - We value everyone’s experiences and knowledge
- - We take time to listen and understand
- - We all have something to teach
- - We all have something to learn
We particularly encourage applications from people who:
▪ have lived experience learning English as a second or other language;
▪ have lived experience supporting family members for whom English is a second or
▪ identify as being part of the global majority*. *The global majority includes anyone who identifies as Black, Asian, or has other identities or backgrounds that are racialised as a minority in the UK.
Skills and Experience
We are looking for someone with skills relevant for the role of treasurer. Any of the
following types of experience are likely to be helpful:
▪ experience of financial operational management;
▪ accountancy experience;
▪ experience in strategic financial management.
In addition to this, each trustee must have a commitment to the mission of Xenia and a
willingness to devote the necessary time and effort as detailed above.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.