We have an exciting new opportunity for a Project Assistant to join our team to spend person-centred quality time with young people aged 16 to 25 living in two accommodation-based support services based in Brighton & Hove. You will join us on a full-time, permanent basis, and in return, you will receive a competitive salary of £20,485 per annum (pro-rata).
YMCA DownsLink Group is a charity working to transform the lives of vulnerable young people across Sussex and Surrey. We work to prevent youth homelessness and provide a home to 763 young people every night. We reach a further 10,000 young people and their families through our other key services, such as counselling, support and advice, mediation, and youth work, so that all young people can belong, contribute, and thrive. We employ c450 full & part-time staff and a growing group of volunteers.
Working Hours: Shift pattern over 7 days, including: Weekday working across both high support services between the hours of 8am-10pm (maximum of 8 hours per day); One day off in the week; One Saturday or Sunday between the hours of 9am-6pm (maximum 8 hours) every fortnight.
As our Project Assistant, you will assist in the provision of supported housing services that support young people to articulate and achieve their aspirations and ambitions, and acquire the skills they need to live independent and fulfilling lives, by actively identifying, mapping, and encouraging the growth of their assets, strengths, and talents.
Our two supported accomodations, Lansworth House and Gareth Stacey House, offer high quality accommodation to 21 and 15 residents respectively, including large communal areas and garden spaces, providing opportunities for innovation in 1:1 support and group work activities.
Key responsibilities of our Project Assistant include:
- Maximising the safety and wellbeing of residents and visitors including health and safety protocols, signing in and out of visitors and guests, fire safety, building and room checks
- Promoting a culture of responsibility to prepare young people for future independence, including confidence building, sourcing and promoting education, work and learning opportunities, paying service charges, managing relationships and adhering to licence agreements and rules
- Recording all incidents, accidents and safeguarding issues that require further investigation and sharing appropriately with the staff, managers and safeguarding team.
- Complying with all YMCA DLG policies and procedures, in particular Safeguarding Children and Adults, and Equality and Diversity, and abide by the Code of Conduct
- Attending appropriate continuing professional development and training events and be committed to team events
- Supporting with any other appropriate duties as directed by the Projects Manager
Our ideal Project Assistant will have:
- Experience in and/or passionate about working directly with young people aged 16-25 and able to engage and relate well to this age group
- The ability to inspire and work proactively with young people to develop their talents
- A confident and capable communicator with the ability to engage, inspire, enhance learning and provoke thoughtful reflection
- An excellent planner and organiser, with the ability to manage multiple tasks at the same time and keep appropriate records
- The ability to build strong relationships with professionals in other organisations
- A commitment to the aims and values of YMCA DownsLink Group
YMCA DownsLink Group welcomes applications from all sections of the community. We value diversity and promote inclusion, which we demonstrate through our activities, as well as in our policies and working practices. Reinforced by our culture and values, we seek to create an inspiring and inclusive place to work.
Please visit our website and go to the Work for Us page to view this vacancy. Please note that we do not accept CV's. All applications must be submitted by hitting the Apply for this Post found at the bottom of the vacancy on the YMCA website.
Closing date for the Project Assistant role: Monday 13th December 2021
YMCA DLG requires all staff and volunteers to be committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people, and vulnerable adults and to respond proactively to safeguarding concerns. Successful applicants are required to undertake an Enhanced Disclosure via the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS).