Are you interested in giving back to your local community?
Can you bring the relevant experience to help us extend our reach and enable us to reach more young people and sustain our growth?
To help us in the next chapter of our journey, we are looking to recruit Trustees who can help us refine our existing strategy and develop the strength; depth and resilience of our charity’s work, helping more people belong, contribute and thrive in their communities.
This is an exciting time to get involved in our YMCA. We are expanding in a number of services areas and into new geographical locations, with a commitment to making a positive difference in our local community.
What will you be doing?
We have a strong and vibrant Trustee Board and we are looking to extend its diversity and skills base so that we are well prepared for the future. We would particularly like to hear from people who have experience and expertise in one or more of the following areas:
- Change Management
- Human Resources
In addition, each trustee should use any specific skills, knowledge or experience they have to help the Trustee Board reach sound decisions. These may involve scrutinising board and committee papers, leading discussions, focusing on key issues, providing advice and guidance on new initiatives and other issues in which the Trustee has special expertise.
If you believe you have the experience and skills to help us on our journey, we would like to hear from you
What are we looking for?
- To develop and agree the long-term vision, mission and strategic plan for the Association
- To ensure plans and annual budget reflect the agreed strategic direction and are appropriate
- To monitor progress against key outcomes from the plan and against budget and to hold the Chief Executive and Executive team accountable for these
- To contribute actively to the work of committees and task groups
- To pro-actively review the level of risk annually
- To agree the Association’s key policies and ensure they contribute to the achievement of the Association’s intended outcomes
- To ensure the Association has effective and appropriate financial control systems and procedures
- To ensure the Association complies with the requirements of its multiple regulators
- To ensure governance is of the highest possible standard
- To work in partnership with board, committees, Chief Executive and staff
- To reflect annually on the Board’s performance, collectively and individually
- To appoint the Chief Executive, and to set their terms and conditions
- To ensure the Association acts within the aims and purposes of the Association and the wider Movement and to ensure the board expresses the Christian mission of the Association within its work
- To play a part in representing YMCA Thames Gateway on a regional, national and international level
- To promote and develop the role of the Association in the community and with its stakeholders
We are looking for a diverse range of people that reflect the people and communities we serve, who are excited by the YMCA’s work, share our values and will play an active part in the work of our Committees. We actively encourage female applicants and are particularly keen to hear from potential committee members who would help broaden the diversity, gender and age demographic of our committees.
YMCA Thames Gateway is committed to a policy of equality of opportunity and diversity.
Our trustees are required to attend 8 evening meetings per year – 4 committee meetings and 4 board meetings as well as the AGM. Meetings are usually held in Romford.
What difference will you make?
YMCA enables people to develop their full potential in mind, body and spirit. Inspired by, and faithful to, our Christian values, we create supportive, inclusive and energising communities, where young people can truly belong, contribute and thrive.
What's in it for the volunteer?
If you are interested in giving back to your local community and helping young people belong, contribute and thrive this could be a great opportunity for you. You would be using your specific skills to make a life changing impact on young people's lives. We offer a full induction programme, discounted gym membership and expenses are reimbursed.
How to Apply
To express an interest in becoming a trustee, please send an up to date CV together with a supporting statement via Reach Trusteeworks explaining how you believe your experience and skills are relevant and what you are able to bring to the role.