Fundraising and Events Assistant
Harrogate, North Yorkshire
This is a permanent role however we will consider applications from students seeking an internship or wishing to undertake a placement year as part of their degree.
Yorkshire Cancer Research is the largest independent cancer charity in England. With an ambitious goal of saving 2000 lives a year, it is an exciting time to be joining the charity. Every week in Yorkshire almost 600 people are told they have cancer, by working for Yorkshire Cancer Research you are helping to protect and save these lives.
Yorkshire is big, beautiful and diverse and, as an inclusive employer, our aim is that our workforce reflects the rich diversity of our region. We believe a diverse workforce is central to us achieving our strategic goal of saving more lives in our region. We offer equal opportunities regardless of race, religion or belief, age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, marriage and civil partnerships.
Yorkshire Cancer Research is entering an exciting period in its development. As part of this we are expanding our team at our Head Office and a number of new roles are being created. As such, we are now looking for a Fundraising and Events Assistant to support our Brand and Relationships team.
We offer all our employees a wide range of benefits including an enhanced contributory pension scheme, 25 days annual leave plus Bank Holidays (increasing to 30 days after 5 years’ service), flexible working arrangements, private medical insurance, enhanced maternity leave, career progression, learning and development, wellbeing initiatives, offices within walking distance of Harrogate train station, free onsite parking and a whole lot more.
We’ve got a strong set of values that inform everything we do and we’re looking for people who are aligned with these. As our Fundraising and Events Assistant, you will strive for excellence in everything you do, have integrity, champion expertise through improvement and innovation and be a great team player. To find out more about our values and how important they are to us, please visit our website.
As a Fundraising and Events Assistant, you will help achieve Yorkshire Cancer Research’s strategic aims by:
· Supporting the marketing and fundraising teams to increase brand awareness and engage the public.
· Extending the charity’s reach across Yorkshire by helping to deliver key events and campaigns throughout the year.
· Communicating effectively to our event participants and fundraisers to strengthen our relationship with them by providing excellent customer service and stewardship.
· Assisting to maximize relevant opportunities to generate income for our charity via events and partnership opportunities.
Specifically, you will:
- Be the event participant’s representative and ‘champion’, working to deliver first class information about events, the charity and how money raised will help.
- Help event participants and fundraisers set up online giving pages, providing guidance, sending out merchandise and practical support as necessary.
- Support the event planning process by considering participant information needs pre-event, during and post-event. Proactively share ideas for the ideal stewardship (customer journey) with the events and marketing teams to secure their input and support.
- Work with the marketing team to ensure letters, leaflets and other communications (sent by email and/or post) accurately reflect the brand identity, convey key messages and are sent at the most appropriate times/touchpoints.
- Responsible for stock control, maintaining an accurate inventory of all event equipment and its whereabouts and keep the events section of the stock cupboard tidy.
- Attend a number of Yorkshire Cancer Research events each year to support the successful delivery of the event and to gain an understanding of the needs and feedback of participants and their supporters.
- Maintain a record of event participant and fundraising data (sign ups, attendees, funds raised, etc) and share with the wider team each week.
- Report performance against delivery plans and targets/budgets, recording key learnings (and identifying these when planning future events) to support a culture of constant improvement.
To be considered for this role, you will need:
- To be educated to minimum A-Level or equivalent, but a degree in an events, business or marketing related discipline is desirable.
- Experience of working in the events industry and an understanding of what is involved with organising an event, including how to ensure events are safe and well managed. This experience may have been gained through a full-time role, a volunteering experience, or a degree/ equivalent qualification in events.
- Customer service experience in a similar or related role. Experience of dealing with customer queries and providing excellent stewardship, going the extra mile to answer all queries in a polite and timely manner.
- High computer literacy with comprehensive knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, especially Word, Excel and Outlook.
Before applying, please visit our Careers Page to view the full role profile and find out more about working for Yorkshire Cancer Research.
To apply please submit a CV and covering letter outlining your suitability for the role to Claire Wooldridge, People Partner before 06 June 2022. Please read our privacy notice before applying.
The charity is a responsible and flexible employer. We welcome any discussion for flexible working at interview/offer stage where we will consider an individual’s circumstances against the needs of the charity.
We positively encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates from all backgrounds. If we can make any reasonable adjustments to support your application please contact us
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.