Policy, Data and Evidence Assistant
Harrogate, North Yorkshire
Yorkshire Cancer Research is the largest independent cancer charity in England. With an ambitious goal of saving 2000 lives a year, it is an exciting time to be joining the charity. Every week in Yorkshire almost 600 people are told they have cancer, by working for Yorkshire Cancer Research you are helping to protect and save these lives.
Yorkshire is big, beautiful and diverse and, as an inclusive employer, our aim is that our workforce reflects the rich diversity of our region. We believe a diverse workforce is central to us achieving our strategic goal of saving more lives in our region. We offer equal opportunities regardless of race, religion or belief, age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, marriage and civil partnerships.
Yorkshire Cancer Research is entering an exciting period in its development. As part of this we are expanding our team at our Head Office and a number of new roles are being created. As such, we are now looking for a Policy, Data and Evidence Assistant to support our Research and Services team.
We offer all our employees a wide range of benefits including an enhanced contributory pension scheme, 25 days annual leave plus Bank Holidays (increasing to 30 days after 5 years’ service), flexible working arrangements, private medical insurance, enhanced maternity leave, career progression, learning and development, wellbeing initiatives, offices within walking distance of Harrogate train station, free onsite parking and a whole lot more.
We’ve got a strong set of values that inform everything we do and we’re looking for people who are aligned with these. As our Policy, Data and Evidence Assistant, you will strive for excellence in everything you do, have integrity, champion expertise through improvement and innovation and be a great team player. To find out more about our values and how important they are to us, please visit our website.
As a Policy, Data and Evidence Assistant you will play a vital role in the development of position statements related to cancer prevention, screening, early detection and treatments.
Supporting the Policy Manager, you will contribute to researching and producing high quality, evidence-based cancer-related policies and assist in communicating our position and key messages.
Specifically, you will:
- Liaise with the Cancer Data and Impact Officer to prepare policy related data requests.
- Synthesise the essential information from academic journal articles, Government commissioned reports, policy evaluations and health advocacy reports from medical research charities and organisations.
- Support the maintenance of a portfolio of regularly updated external data, facts, statistics and evidence relevant to cancer in Yorkshire.
- Support the Cancer Insight Team to interpret, analyse and present external data and statistics for use by internal and external stakeholders.
- Assist in the preparation of data requests and summary reports from across the charity this could include data and information for press releases, social media, presentations, and planning of future work and priority areas.
- Assist in the preparation of reports relating to external data requests.
- Conduct literature reviews on areas of interest to the charity.
- Take part in events and charity related projects.
To be considered for this role, you will need:
- A degree level qualification in a relevant subject area, for example public health, health promotion, public policy or biomedical science, or other relevant subject with a data and evidence focus.
- A strong background in data analysis, including use of Excel.
- Experience of analysing datasets to highlight useful trends and statistics.
- Experience of interpreting and presenting complex information and communicating this to a range of audiences.
- The ability to sift out the essential elements from a mass of complex information.
- Experience of using PubMed and other research literature databases.
- The ability to work autonomously and as part of a team, using own initiative and being proactive whilst building effective relationships across the organisation.
- An understanding of the health information environment, health service policy and regional cancer issues.
- Experience of evaluating and/or developing evidence-based health advocacy policies is desirable.
Before applying, please visit our Careers Page to view the full role profile and find out more about working for Yorkshire Cancer Research.
To apply please submit a CV and covering letter outlining your suitability for the role to Claire Wooldridge, People Partner before 29 May 2022. Please read our privacy notice before applying.
The charity is a responsible and flexible employer. We welcome any discussion for flexible working at interview/offer stage where we will consider an individual’s circumstances against the needs of the charity.
We positively encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates from all backgrounds. If we can make any reasonable adjustments to support your application please contact us.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.