Parent Carer Peer Support Worker - 14 hours per week. Fixed Term Contract to 31st August 2018. Based: London Bridge (involves frequent travel)
An exciting opportunity to join YoungMinds – the voice for young people’s mental health and wellbeing!
YoungMinds is the leading charity working to improve the mental health and emotional wellbeing of children and young people. We are at the forefront of pioneering effective youth engagement, and we are now keen to develop new models of peer support and engagement for parents and carers of children who have mental health problems.
We have secured funding from The Linbury Trust to develop a parent peer to peer support programme targeting foster carers of unaccompanied refugee and asylum seeking children and young people in the London Borough of Croydon and in East Kent. The aim of this project is for foster carers to develop their skills in understanding and supporting the mental health needs of the children in their care.
Working with the project team, we are looking for someone to deliver the project at a local level.
You will have:
- Excellent communication, and interpersonal skills, and be able to deal confidently with parent carers, professionals and other voluntary sector partners.
- Understanding of the specific experiences of asylum seeking, refugee and unaccompanied children and how this impacts mental health.
- Credibility when interacting with parent carers, especially foster carers.
- Knowledge and understanding of peer support models and group work.
- Knowledge of the emotional, behavioural and mental health difficulties children and young people can face, the impact these can have, and the different kinds of help available.
- The ability to make information accessible and engaging for parent carers.
- The ability to develop and deliver effective training sessions.
- Excellent written, IT and presentation skills.
- Empathy with and commitment to the mission and aims of YoungMinds.
Understanding of safeguarding policy and practice and the ability to apply this in the context of group work with foster carers.
How to apply
For further details of how to apply for this exciting opportunity please visit our website where you can download an application form and pack.
Please note that YoungMinds does not accept CVs as a method of application and does not wish to be contacted by employment agencies.
Closing date for receipt of applications: 9am on Monday 11th December 2017
Interviews will be held at YoungMinds’ office in London Bridge on Wednesday 20th December 2017.
In the interests of economy, we will only notify those candidates who are shortlisted. Unfortunately, we are not able to give feedback to candidates not shortlisted.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.