We’re ZSL, an international conservation charity. Our vision is a world where wildlife thrives and we’re working every day to achieve this. From investigating the health threats facing animals, to helping people and wildlife live alongside each other, we are committed to bringing wildlife back from the brink of extinction. Through the work of our pioneering scientists, our dedicated conservationists and our unrivalled animal experts in our two zoos, we guide and enable others in the UK and all across the world. Inspiring, informing, empowering – working for wildlife.
This exciting new role will work closely with the Institutional Fundraising Manager and teams across ZSL to secure sustainable large-scale funding from UK charitable trusts and foundations, National Lottery, government and bi-lateral agencies to help ZSL meet its strategic aims. You will play a key role in strengthening ZSL’s institutional donor base by maintaining and enhancing existing donor relationships, identifying and cultivating new avenues for income generation, and increasing the volume and success rate of funding proposals. This will include coordinating with teams to support the development and drafting of robust fundraising proposals and technical bids and working with implementing teams to steward funders in a timely and effective manner.
We are looking for a persuasive and versatile writer, with a high degree of attention to detail, and track record of developing and growing relationships with major UK charitable trusts and foundations. Knowledge and prior experience of designing and drafting of statutory grant proposals to UK development agencies is essential. Previous experience in the context of science, conservation and international development will be considered an asset. Must have a proven ability to manage conflicting priorities, meet tight deadlines, and work well under pressure.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Working with the Institutional Fundraising Manager to maintain and cultivate donor relationships with UK charitable trusts and foundations, National Lottery and government agencies, in order to identify funding opportunities.
- Managing a portfolio prospects and funders, applying best practice principles of cultivation and relationship management at every stage, and coordinating all donor interactions and submissions.
- Maintain and cultivate positive and productive relationships with prospects and funders
- Identify and share timely information on funding opportunities that are aligned to ZSL’s strategic objectives.
- To support the end-to-end management and ownership throughout the entirety of the bid lifecycle, working closely with cross-societal teams to draft compelling narratives and develop associated documents including budgets in partnership with Finance teams, ensuring that deadlines are met and submissions are compliant, well written and coordinated in a timely manner.
- To support the team Head and/or Institutional Fundraising Manager in coordinating the development and submission of large-scale proposals and technical bids.
- Partner with project teams to support all reporting requirements to the highest standards and ensure that appropriate reporting schedules are implemented.
- Build and maintain positive working relationships with key operational and technical experts across ZSL to coordinate cross-societal inputs needed for applications in a timely manner.
- To promote and encourage cross-departmental information sharing, collaboration, synergy in the context of proposal development and relationship management
Ideally the successful candidate will be able to demonstrate the following:
Qualifications and Experience
- Hold a degree or higher in a relevant field or have equivalent professional work experience in a related field.
- Strong track record in fundraising for science and conservation projects commensurate with ZSL’s work.
- Strong track record of developing successful fundraising relationships with, and submitting proposals to, UK charitable trusts, National lottery, government and bilateral donors.
- Proven ability to work effectively with teams and senior managers both internally and externally.
- Current or previous people management experience is essential as is the ability to work with a wide range of people from different cultures.
- Comfortable with reading and analysing scientific research and translating complex ideas into well-presented, persuasive fundraising pitches.
- Sound understanding of global biodiversity conservation issues.
- Knowledge of large-scale funding agencies and opportunities including DfID and Defra.
- An understanding of current funding priorities of large donors that focus on science, conservation and environmental issues.
Skills and Ability
- Be able to tell a story through creative and factual writing.
- Proven experience of writing and editing skills, demonstrating the ability to write coherent and well-develop funding proposals and reports.
- Be able to manage the proposal process, meeting compliance requirements & deadlines.
- Have strong research skills.
- Proven experience in the development of log-frames.
- A high standard of fluency in spoken and quality written English is essential.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
Please note: This is a full-time (37.5 hours per week), permanent contract position reporting to the Head of Trusts, Statutory & Major Projects Fundraising. The post will be based at ZSL’s head office in Regents Park; candidates must have the ability and willingness to travel internationals and work flexible hours where required. Having a "can do attitude", solution-focused approach and the ability to make objective decisions under pressure will make you a success in this role.
This role offers a competitive salary plus a comprehensive benefits package including 25 days holiday, joint contributory pension scheme (7% employer contribution), complimentary zoo tickets and more.
Applicants will need to upload their CV and covering letter (detailing relevant experience and skills, stating why they want the position and including details of availability) and can do this by clicking the "Apply for this job online" button. If you have any queries regarding this position or when applying through the system please contact Human Resources
Closing date for applications: Midnight (23:59) Monday 22nd July 2019
The Zoological Society of London is a charity registered in England and Wales: no. 208728.
ZSL kindly requests no contact from agencies or media sales please regarding this position.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.