Belmont Abbey General Trust CIO (Charity No226278) supports a community of Benedictine monks based at Belmont Abbey in Herefordshire in their work and life under the Rule of St Benedict.
Designed by Edwin Pugin (1834-1875) son of Augustus Pugin and featuring fine stained glass from the studios of John Hardman, Belmont Abbey belongs to The congregation of English Benedictines are custodians of this beautiful Abbey.
The Abbey is now home to fifteen resident Benedictine Monks and supports the livelihood of another 8 living elsewhere. Most monks living at Belmont are ordained as priests and are involved in pastoral work at Belmont and in eight other parishes in England and Wales. Together they are responsible for around 8,000 parishioners and their families.
Belmont also supports a monastery it started in Peru in the 1980’s which is now home to ten monks.
Belmont provides modern office accommodation to the NHS and is also home to 19 formerly homeless local people, housed in what was the Abbey guesthouse. This initiative began at the beginning of the Covid pandemic, a response to the urgent need to provide a place of safety for those who were most at risk.
The Abbey is a place of tranquillity and reflection in a troubled world reaching out to the community.