The Wimbledon and Putney Commons Conservators ensure that Wimbledon Common, Putney Heath and Putney Lower Common (known collectively as “the Commons”) are managed and conserved in accordance with the Wimbledon and Putney Commons Act 1871, as supplemented by the Commissioners Clauses Act 1847 and their legal obligations as Trustees of a registered charity. We are a non-political organisation, dedicated to the preservation and protection of the Commons.
The Commons comprise around 1,140 acres of countryside, of which approximately 900 acres of the Commons are recognised as a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) and a Special Area of Conservation (SAC). The open space can be enjoyed for exercise and recreation and attracts large numbers of visitors.
Managed by a team of 20 staff, the Commons are also home to many sporting facilities including some 48 acres of playing fields used for rugby and football, 16 miles of horserides and a golf course.