Are you a friendly person who enjoys face-to-face and phone contact with a wide variety of people?
Would you enjoy volunteering for a small local community charity which makes a big difference to local people’s lives?
Have you 3 hours to spare each week between either 10am-1pm or 1pm to 4pm on a weekday?
If you answered ‘yes’ to those questions please read on!
We have volunteer vacancies right now for Reception Assistants at our busy community centre in Kilburn, London Borough of Camden, North West London.
As one of our Volunteer Reception Assistants you’ll:
- contribute to making our community centre a fun, friendly and inclusive place for local residents of all ages to spend time in
- help ensure everyone accessing our reception, whether in person or by phone, receives a courteous, efficient, and friendly service
The main tasks you’ll do:
- Meet and greet visitors with a smile
- Answer questions and deal with enquiries about the centre, its activities and services both in person face-to-face at Reception, and over the phone
- Transfer some telephone calls to other team members
- Take messages and pass these on to the most appropriate team members (often by email)
- Provide visitors with directions to rooms where activities are happening
- Book our community activities programme members on to activities, events and trips they want to participate in using sign-up sheets provided
- Make quick friendly phone calls to remind people about activities they’ve booked onto
- Help promote centre activities, services, and events by pro-actively mentioning these to guests and visitors who may like or benefit from them
- Help keep the centre’s reception and foyer areas tidy and organised
- Assist with admin tasks including photocopying, envelope stuffing, filing, simple data entry (such as entering people’s names and addresses), preparing simple documents
There are lots of other tasks you can potentially help out with too but those are the main ones.
No prior reception experience is required. We’re simply looking for people who’re able to reliably volunteer for 3 hours on a weekday (either between 10am to 1pm or 1pm to 4pm) for at least four months and who’ve:
- a naturally cheerful, friendly, socially confident personality
- good people skills
- good time keeping
- good telephone manner with clear spoken English
- reasonable IT skills (typing, entering data, sending simple emails, etc.)
- ability to learn how to use a database – to get information out from it or to enter simple information into it
- a warm and encouraging approach
- good conversational skills including in listening
- good team working skills
- the ability to follow simple instructions and guidance whether given verbally or in writing
- some initiative. Volunteers receive thorough training and ongoing guidance and support. But they do need to be able to get stuff done themselves once they’ve been shown how things work
- willingness to ‘muck in’: potentially helping with topping up supplies, clearing away, setting up rooms for activities, etc.
If this sounds like you and you like the sound of the role please apply! We’d love you to join our team :-)
For more information about this opportunity, our community centre and all the ways it helps local people, and the benefits you’ll enjoy by volunteering with us please see our volunteers pack attached to this advert!
Here’s what one of our former Reception Assistants had to say about her time volunteering with us in the role:
“It was such a pleasure to be a part of Abbey Community Centre Reception. I had a great time in here. I have learnt plenty of the principals of well-managed reception. Thanks to you and your excellent training! I am very grateful for the opportunity to volunteer here at the Abbey. Meeting such great people with passion for helping others was the best experience."
Days/Times: Monday - Friday 10am-1pm or 1pm-4pm Start: As soon as possible.
Thank you for your interest in volunteering with us. We look forward to hearing from you!
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.