Why does AFRIL need your time and skills?
Action for Refugees in Lewisham works to relieve poverty and isolation amongst refugees, asylum seekers and other ethnic minorities in Lewisham. Our commitment is to ensure we reach the most vulnerable people in our community and help them access the support they are entitled to. As a small charity, we are reliant on fundraising and donations to support our projects and programmes and operational costs.
We organise a range of events throughout the year to publicise our work and projects, raise our profile, support our fundraising campaigns, grow our volunteer team and celebrate our successes. The role of volunteer events team members is essential in the planning and delivery of the events diary.
When: Flexible, but availability regularly on Fridays for telephone/ face to face meetings Volunteer Coordinator would be an advantage.
Location: From home with visits to the AFRIL office and event locations as necessary
Commitment: Minimum six months
Reporting arrangements: Every volunteer will be allocated a personal supervisor. The supervisor for this role is xx. This person will be the volunteer’s first point of contact regarding all aspects of the volunteering role, attendance or general placement issues. In their absence matters should be directed to xx.
Duties: As a member of the Events team, the duties will include:
• Suggesting ideas for events
• Developing events that fulfil our aims and support our activities and that (depending on the event) could include AFRIL volunteers, service-users, children, supporters, partners, the media and the public.
• Planning and organising events as part of the AFRIL calendar
Events focus may include: Volunteer recruitment; fundraising (stalls, benefit gigs, music events and dinners); celebrations; promotional events; celebrations; end of term parties; social events and contributing to national themed events and celebrations such as Volunteers’ Week and Refugees’ Week, Human Rights Day and Black History Month. (This list is not exclusive).
Main Skills/ Qualities/ Experience required:
• Experience of organising events (e.g.at work, church, school, university)
• Excellent communication skills in fluent English
• Good social media/ computer skills
• Ability to communicate well with people from diverse backgrounds
• Excellent planning skills and attention to detail
• Happy to work on own and in a team
• Creative and innovative
• An interest in supporting refugees and contributing to the work of AFRIL.
Special requirements in this role:
All volunteers in this role must:
• undertake any induction/ on-going training and learning as required
• acquaint themselves with all relevant, rules, policies & procedures
• personally comply with all relevant policies and procedures at all times
• read and sign the AFRIL confidentiality agreement
• be reliable and punctual
• demonstrate a real commitment to AFRIL’s vision, objectives and values and show an appreciation of and respect for all sections of our diverse community
What will you gain?
As a volunteer, you will:
• Gain experience and insight into the world of event management
• Develop skills and strategies needed as an event organiser
• Acquire experience working within a community charity
• Access training opportunities available to AFRIL volunteers
• Be entitled to a reference from AFRIL
Expenses: Travel expenses will be reimbursed, up to £3 per day.
Equal Opportunities: Volunteers represent our local community and we value their involvement as part of our commitment to equalities and diversity. We will encourage volunteers from all backgrounds and those with different skills and needs. Volunteers will be covered by the general principles of the organisation’s Equal Opportunities Policy.
Notice period: Both AFRIL and the volunteer will aim to provide at least 2 weeks’ notice of cessation of the placement.
In exceptional circumstances; (e.g. in cases of misconduct and clear contravention of policy) AFRIL reserves the right to dismiss the volunteer immediately and will ask them to leave the premises.
References: AFRIL will happily respond to reference requests for volunteers. We do not give testimonials. All such requests must requested by a named organisation. Requests will be responded to on an individual basis.
How to apply: In the first instance, please complete an application form. Please note, CVs are not accepted.