Saturdays 09:30 – 12 noon
St Peter’s Church, Lewisham SE12 8UQ
Our Helping Hands food bank aims to tackle hunger by soliciting food for distribution through a network of agencies and programmes. Volunteers on this project will be helping the Food Bank Co-ordinator at the Food bank in coordinating efficient food distribution activities. The project has a number of varied opportunities for volunteers. These include welcoming service-users, assisting in the making-up and distribution of food parcels, project administration and supporting service users to take part in the cookery and nutrition groups associated with the project.
We are looking for people to join us who are passionate about the work of AFRIL and helping to tackle poverty in the UK. They must have an interest in and understanding of the hopes, needs and experiences of asylum seekers and refugees in the UK and an empathy and ability to work with people from disadvantaged and socially excluded backgrounds
As a member of the Foodbank volunteer team, the duties could include:
- Welcoming new and regular clients
- Encouraging service users to practice their English conversation
- Making up food parcels
- Supervising and playing with children attending with their parents
- Collecting food from local supermarkets and other food outlets (drivers)
- Assisting with monthly cookery or nutrition groups
- Assisting with foodbank events and celebrations
All volunteers in this role must:
- undertake any induction/ on-going training and learning as required
- acquaint themselves with all relevant, rules, policies & procedures
- personally comply with all relevant policies and procedures at all times
- read and sign the AFRIL confidentiality agreement
- be reliable and punctual
- demonstrate a real commitment to AFRIL’s vision, objectives and values and show an appreciation of and respect for all sections of our diverse community
Travel expenses will be reimbursed, up to £3 per day.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.