Supplementary School Teaching Assistant
This organisation is scheduling interviews as the applications come in. Don’t miss your opportunity, apply now!
We hold new volunteer inductions throughout the year, so apply ASAP to be in time to join the next one.
Action for Refugees in Lewisham works to relieve poverty and isolation amongst refugees, asylum seekers and other vulnerable migrants in Lewisham. At the Rainbow Club supplementary school we aim to help children between the ages of 4 and 11 to improve their literacy, numeracy and social skills in a friendly and supportive environment. We need your skills and enthusiasm to assist the teacher in the delivery of a literacy and numeracy class and work with other volunteers to develop a programme of recreational activities. The Rainbow Club runs on Saturday mornings during term-time.
Your duties will include:
- Arriving punctually for the 9am briefing by the Rainbow Club Headteacher;
- Working in a team with other volunteers and teachers to deliver literacy, numeracy, arts, sport activities – this includes ensuring children remain engaged throughout the lesson and carry out set tasks as instructed by the teacher;
- Working one-to-one with specific children if and when required;
- Filing classroom work and homework in children’s individual files and keeping all materials and resources tidy and properly stored;
- Liaising with parents as and when required for example distributing leaflets and news about future meetings and events and also assisting with parents' day;
- Following the teacher’s policies on discipline and classroom management;
- Supervising the children during break times;
- Supporting the children during class trips;
- Ensuring classrooms are clean and tidy at the end of each day – this may include being part of a regular team rota;
- Providing feedback and comments to the volunteer coordinator and Rainbow Club manager when required.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.