Support your local Hear to Meet social Coffee Mornings for adults affected by deafness, tinnitus and hearing loss. Our social groups offer invaluable support, friendship and social interaction to people who may have become isolated by their hearing loss.
Coffee Mornings are held in:
A regular monthly commitment is required; actual times and days to be agreed.
What will you be doing?
As a Hear to Meet Volunteer, you’ll perform the following tasks:
- Help staff to prepare and set up the venue before our Hear to Meet social befriending groups
- Provide a friendly welcome to group members as they arrive at the meetup, directing them to the correct room
- Serve teas and coffees to group members throughout the meetup
- Listen, chat and engage with group members and their friends and family
- To promote the work of the Sensory Service Isle of Wight
- Share your own experiences of deafness, tinnitus or hearing loss
- Promote the Hear to Meet group in your local area
- To assist with paperwork when necessary
- Follow Action on Hearing policies and regulations
Why do we need you?
Not everyone realises the impact that losing your hearing can have on your social life. Our Hear to Meet befriending groups make a huge difference to people who may have become isolated by hearing loss. We depend on our fantastic volunteers to help us run this important service
What skills do you need?
Here’s what we think could be beneficial:
- Knowledge of, or willingness to learn about, issues affecting people confronting deafness, tinnitus and hearing loss
- To be able to communicate clearly and effectively
- A genuine interest in working for charities
- A friendly and approachable manner
- A sensitive attitude towards other people
- Reliable, trustworthy and honest
- Open-minded and non-judgmental
What support will you get?
We value your time and commitment and want to make sure you are enjoying volunteering with us.
In a recent survey 90% of our volunteers would recommend Action on Hearing Loss as a good place to volunteer
Regular support will be given by your own Volunteer Manager especially in the early stages of your role as you settle in. You will also receive informal support from other Action on Hearing Loss volunteers and staff as you work together.
Here’s what our volunteers say!
“I enjoy meeting people and helping them with their queries. Hearing loss can cause frustration and isolation, leading to loss of confidence. If I’m able to improve someone’s quality of life by sharing information or raising awareness of how others can help, then that’s very satisfying.” RB
What training is offered?
Action on Hearing Loss offers full, on-going training for all volunteers including an induction programme and further training specific to the volunteering role. This may include:
- Training in Understanding Hearing Loss
- Volunteers also have the opportunity to attend other training relevant to their role
What will you gain?
Our volunteers receive the following benefits:
- Training – learning new skills, and gaining up-to-date knowledge of issues affecting people confronting deafness, tinnitus and hearing loss
- Experience – meeting new people in different situations, building new friendships with other Action on Hearing Loss volunteers
- Fulfilment– knowing that the time you provide will make a real difference to the people we support, and raising deaf awareness throughout society as a whole
- Expenses – all reasonable expenses incurred as a result of your volunteering will be reimbursed according to the Action on Hearing Loss expenses policy
- Opportunity to try other volunteering roles locally with Action on Hearing if available
You may need to be able to travel locally, whether by car or public transport. All reasonable travel expenses will be reimbursed, according to the Action on Hearing Loss Travel and Subsistence Policy.
Thanks for taking the time to read these details. Ready to apply for this role? Excellent!
**Please click on the 'Apply on Website' button below, to fill out our online application**
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.