Birmingham ESOL Teacher
This organisation is scheduling interviews as the applications come in. Don’t miss your opportunity, apply now!
The Afghanistan and Central Asian Association (ACAA) is looking for enthusiastic volunteer ESOL teachers to support refugees and asylum seekers in in-person classes in Birmingham.
Who we are:
ACAA works to empower and support refugees and asylum seekers by providing vital services that enable successful integration. These include English classes, mentoring, drop-in advice sessions, a legal surgery, employment and education training, counter-extremism workshops and youth and women's engagement services.
Working as part of a small dynamic ESOL teaching team, responsibility for lesson planning and delivery will be shared between yourself and more experienced teachers. You will have the opportunity to shadow teachers and gain practical teaching experience before leading lessons. This is alongside training sessions for CPD (continued professional development), as you progress in the position you will take on more responsibility and develop your role. Classes meet both in-person and online and all days of the week (except Sunday), meaning you can teach any day that fits your schedule.
Duties will include:
- Preparing and delivering lessons to students of different ages and abilities
- Preparing classroom and coursework materials, homework assignments, and weekly hand-outs
- Assessing students' class work and assignments
- Creating an engaging and fun teaching atmosphere
- Ensuring all our students engage in academic learning despite their ability, to achieve their highest potential whilst developing personal and employability skills
- Setting effective targets to monitor students’ progress
- Supporting and motivating students to allow them to grow and enhance their own skills by both achieving qualifications and becoming ready for work
- Previous teaching experience is desirable, but not essential as support is provided
- ESOL qualification or equivalent experience
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Good listening skills
- DBS checked or willingness to be
- Planning and organisational skills