Purpose of the Role
Sitting within the “Getting On” Team at Age Concern Luton, this is an interim volunteer role until we resume our face-to-face services. This role is to befriend an older person in Luton who may be feeling lonely and isolated during these challenging times, over the telephone.
Tasks and Duties
- Agree with older people what day/time of day you will be calling.
- Call older people, speak to them over the phone to provide company and companionship, allowing them time to speak.
- Be polite, friendly and respectful.
- Uphold our strict confidentiality policies and make steps to ensure confidentiality is maintained.
- Submit a weekly “update form” via email to the Community Engagement Worker (CEW) and inform the CEW of any concerns in a timely fashion.
- Volunteers usually commit to between 1-2 hours a week but this flexible depending on your circumstances.
- Due to the nature of the role, we request that you make your calls on the same day each week.
- Please allow time for 2 x training sessions via Zoom.
- Because you will be working with vulnerable adults, all successful applicants need 2 references and to complete a DBS check (paid for by Age Concern Luton).
- You will also need to undergo professional boundaries skills and safeguarding taking place via Zoom.
- Want to continue once this interim role is over? Absolutely! There are a number of exciting volunteer roles our team can support you into, if you would like to continue volunteering with us when this interim role ends.
- Want to leave this position early? This is an interim role and we would therefore expect that you would be able to continue your role until ACL’s face to face services resume. However, we do understand that circumstances change, therefore we ask you to notify us as soon as possible, and remain in the role until a replacement can be found.
Benefits to the volunteer:
- Get to know new people
- Make a real difference in the local community
- Training opportunities
- Add value to CV
- Receive of out-of-pocket expenses
- Volunteer flexibly around other commitments
- We can provide a reference to a future employer
- Feel valued as part of the “Getting On” team
- Have fun!
COVID-19 Safety Measures:
- The role of COVID-19 Telephone Befriender is home-based.
If you are committed to helping people during this crisis and would like to get involved, contact us now!
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.