Share your love of sewing with older learners. We have a number of volunteer tutors who share their skills with small groups of older learners. If you have garment making skills, please do get in touch. Our Tutors work together with our wonderful Arts Coordinator at our Drovers Activity Centre and there are opportunities to both lead and support activities. All our activities play an important part in helping to reduce isolation, encouraging people to keep mobile and build confidence.
What a Garment Making Volunteer does:
- Gives 2 hours a week to support the Garment Making class on Fridays from 10am – 12pm
- Encourages people to engage in classes
- Help prepare and lead activities
- Fosters a friendly and encouraging environment for attendees to develop and share their ideas
- Informs staff of weekly attendance of session.
What we are looking for:
- Experience and skills in sewing, garment-making, repairing and upcycling activities
- Love being with people
- Enthusiastic and good communicator
- Able to communicate well with people from all backgrounds
- Reliability, punctuality and empathy
- Understanding of, and compliance with Age UK Islington key policies e.g. Safeguarding, Data Protection.
We will ask you to:
- Complete an application form (incl. 2 referees)
- Have a short telephone conversation about what you’d like to achieve through volunteering
- Have an informal interview
- Attend a general induction session
- We’ll organise an Enhanced DBS check.
Ideally we are looking for someone who can make an ongoing commitment. We'll ask 2 hours a week (Fri, 10am – 12pm).
- We will pay all reasonable travel expenses
- If you volunteer for half a day (3.5 hours or more) we will pay subsistence/lunch expenses.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.