Bail for Immigration Detainees (BID) is an independent charity that exists to challenge immigration detention in the UK, by providing free legal advice, information and representation to thousands of people held in detention across the UK. Through our research and policy work, we challenge existing detention policy and practice as well as pressing for an end to detention.
We are looking for people to join our Board of Trustees and help to shape our future plans and strategy.
Trustees have ultimate responsibility for directing the affairs of BID, and ensuring that it is solvent, well run, and delivering the charitable outcomes for the benefit of the public for which it has been set up. The trustee board must always act in the best interests of BID, exercising the same duty of care that a prudent person of business would in looking after the affairs of someone for whom they had responsibility. The trustee board must act as a group and not as individuals.
Duties of a trustee board member:
The duties of a trustee board member are to:
- Ensure that BID complies with its governing document (its Memorandum and Articles of Association), charity law, company law and any other relevant legislation or regulations
- Ensure that BID pursues its objects as defined in its governing document
- Ensure BID applies its resources exclusively in pursuance of its objects, ie it must not spend money on activities which are not included in the objects, however worthwhile they may be
- Contribute actively to the board of trustees' role in giving clear strategic direction to BID, setting overall policy, defining goals and setting targets and evaluating performance against them
- Safeguard the good name and values of BID
- Ensure the financial viability of BID
- Protect and manage the property of BID and ensure proper investment of funds
- Appoint and support the chief executive officer and monitor their performance.
In addition to the above, each trustee should use any specific skills, knowledge or experience they have to help the board of trustees reach sound decisions. This may involve leading discussions, focusing on key issues, providing advice and guidance on new initiatives, evaluation or other issues in which the trustee has special expertise.
Each trustee must have:
- A commitment to the mission of BID
- A willingness to devote the necessary time and effort
- Strategic vision
- Good, independent judgement
- An ability to think creatively
- A willingness to speak their mind
- An understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship
- An ability to work as a member of a team and to take decisions for the good of BID.
The board of trustees collectively needs skills and experience in:
- Public policy
- Organisational management
- Financial management,
- Legislation and case law relating to immigration detention and immigration generally as well as general legal expertise
- Experience of immigration detention or the asylum system
- Human resource management
- Charity and volunteer management and policy
- Strategy development
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.