Moving Forward Project West Sussex Health works with Sussex Community NHS Trust to empower young people with a learning difficulty or disability aged 16-25 years old. While focusing on young people's health needs, the service will support young people in becoming more independent, increasing their confidence and expanding their social circle, whilst taking ownership of their health needs.
The service currently runs the following activities:
- Weekly healthy life skills youth group
- Holiday healthy life skills workshop days
- One-to-one personal support
The role will give you the opportunity to:
- Assist in the organisation and running of the youth groups for disabled young people
- Support young people while on workshop days
- Support young people on a one-to-one basis, to empower them to take ownership of their individual health needs
- To report any safeguarding concerns raised by the young people, parents/carers, volunteers or others.
- To ensure that events and activities are made accessible to all disabled children and young people regardless of the nature of their disability, and irrespective of the child's age, gender, ethnicity, religion, culture or language
- To support and be involved in the running of events and activities for disabled children and young people across the county.
- To work directly with the young people at the healthy life skills support groups
- To help develop young people's knowledge and understanding around health needs such as; healthy eating, personal fitness, smoking, alcohol/substance misuse etc.
- To enhance the young people's independence, skills level and choice
- All these duties to be carried out with the support and guidance of the Children's Service Manager and Volunteer Coordinator.
Attitude / Skills / Knowledge Required
- An understanding of people with disabilities and their needs
- Awareness of the relevance of outreach support work and group work
- An interest in current issues and how they affect young people
- Ability to establish and maintain positive relationships with service users with challenging needs
- Ability to relate and communicate with young people
- Commitment to Barnardo's Basis and Values
- Commitment to Barnardo's Equality and Diversity Policy
- Commitment to delivering a high quality service which makes a real difference to young people and their families in West Sussex
Opportunities available across West Sussex, please get in contact for information regarding upcoming events.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.