The Moving Forward Project is working with Surrey Short Breaks to offer a fun and inspiring life skills youth group / fun days out for young people aged 12-18 years old who have a diagnosis of Autism or Asperger's syndrome. The aim is to support young people in becoming more independent, increasing their confidence and expanding their social circle through weekly Life Skills Youth groups and fun days out.
The service currently runs the following activities:
- Weekly life skills youth group
- Social events such as discos, fun days and trips out
The role will give you the opportunity to:
- Assist in the organisation and running of the youth groups for disabled young people
- Support young people while out on day trips
- To report any safeguarding concerns raised by the young people, parents /carers, volunteers or others
- To ensure that events and activities are made accessible to all disabled children and young people regardless of the nature of their disability, and irrespective of the child's age, gender, ethnicity, religion, culture or language
- To support and be involved in the running of events and activities for disabled children and young people across the county. This can range from workshop days, support groups to celebration events such as fun days, BBQs and discos
- To work directly with the young people at the life skills Youth groups
- To support in helping develop awareness around online safety, fire safety, stranger awareness, relationship awareness
- To support in helping develop skills and knowledge around cooking, food safety and hygiene and how to cook with a budget
- To help promote the young people's independence, skills level and choice
- All these duties to be carried out with the support and guidance of the Children's Service Manager and Volunteer Coordinator.
Attitude / Skills / Knowledge Required
- An understanding of people with disabilities and their needs
- Awareness of the relevance of outreach support work and group work
- An interest in current issues and how they affect young people
- Ability to establish and maintain positive relationships with service users with challenging needs
- Ability to relate and communicate with young people
- Commitment to delivering high quality service which makes a real difference to young people and their families
Volunteer opportunities are available across Surrey, please get in contact for information regarding upcoming events.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.