How to apply
Purpose of opportunity:
We are looking to recruit 3 volunteers for the Business Development team. The team leads the growth of Barnardo's services by generating funding from local and central government (known as statutory income). We work closely with colleagues across the UK on bids (tenders and grants) to provide vital services to support as many children and young people as possible, all over the country. This is a fantastic opportunity to volunteer within Barnardo's Business Development Unit (BDU).
In your volunteer role you will join a diverse and passionate team, and contribute to the growth of a large children's charity. You will gain a valuable insight into how a charity operates.
You will have the opportunity to participate in a range of activities to support you in achieving your volunteering aims, such as:
- Service visits
- understanding the contribution of Barnardo's within the voluntary sector and the service they provide for vulnerable children, young people and their families
- Recruitment workshops
- Meet a range of staff to discuss different roles and careers within Barnardo's.
The diversity of our staff and volunteers is a source of richness that benefits us all, including the children, young people and families with whom we work. We welcome applications for this role from people of all backgrounds.
From Summer 2019 (June/July) for a duration of at least 10 weeks, with the potential to volunteer for a longer period. We are looking for volunteers to commit between 2 - 5 days per week (flexible).
Barnardo House, Tanners Lane, Barkingside, Ilford IG6 1QG
Period covered by opportunity:
From Summer 2019 (June/July) for a duration of at least 10 weeks
Days/Hours/ Time commitment:
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday
Minimum Age: 18 years
Can be offered
You will be volunteering to provide support to the Business Development Team.
Volunteer activities will include:
- Conducting market research on potential partners and competitors
- Research into local and national government policies, and the needs of children, young people and families
- Supporting funding applications and helping to identify funding opportunities
- Gathering evidence to support business cases for new service areas / proposals
- Working with other departments such as Children's Services, to ensure effective delivery of projects.
- Writing reports and presenting information to a variety of audiences in a clear and concise way
- Assisting the team with day-to-day activities including organising meetings and inputting data onto our database.
No prior experience of working in business development is required for this role.
Key skills include:
Good level of written English and oral communication skills
- A passion for addressing issues affecting disadvantaged children, young people and families
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment
- Strong research skills and ability to analyse information from different sources
- Ability to problem solve and think analytically
- Ability to think creatively when communicating with different audiences
- A high standard of organisational skills and the ability to prioritise tasks and work in an efficient way
- A good understanding of information systems and Microsoft Office, specifically use of Excel
Training, support or other benefits available:
Barnardo's will cover all reasonable travel expenses and lunch for this role, subject to Barnardo's expenses policy.
You will have access to our Volunteer Learning Academy, including a wide range of free Level 2 Courses offered by AP4U & Learning Curve Group.
You will complete our 4 mandatory training modules for volunteers including: health and safety and safeguarding. You will also receive a full induction into the requirements of the role as well as regular supervision.
We also offer:
- Access to the Barnardo's internal vacancy list
- Supervision and support throughout the volunteering role
- A reference on completion of the volunteering role
- The potential to visit some of our local services for children and young people
- Support for CV / interview skills
- The chance to gain an insight into the charity sector and the work of the Business Development team