Volunteers are trained to support and befriend a lonely and isolated person, for periods of up to 2 hours on a regular basis.
Skills and abilities needed
- To have good listening and communication skills
- To be non-judgmental in your attitude towards clients
- To ensure that you are reliable and punctual when visiting clients and returning your monthly monitoring forms
- To be conscientious with your volunteering and any follow up required for clients
- Understanding and empathy for this vulnerable client group
- Ability to work alone and cope well in one-to-one situations
- Understanding of and willingness to work within the BEfriend framework including following policies and procedures
Two hours per week
Out of pocket expenses - travel and refreshments:
We reimburse reasonable travel expenses against receipts and provide refreshments at training courses and meetings
Benefits to volunteers
Gaining experience and the satisfaction of helping others
Initially a one day Volunteers Induction training, then further training available
DBS - Disclosure barring checks
An enhanced DBS check is required, which we organise and pay for.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.