Background and purpose
Big Local Works (BLWs) is a charity based in South Bermondsey and was established in 2017 as a legacy project of the Big Local South Bermondsey Partnership (BLBSP), to help improve the lives of local people by:
- Providing key employability training for local residents to prepare and sustain them in work
- Providing vital benefits and welfare support
- Supporting local social entrepreneurs
- Developing new community initiatives to meet local needs
The Charity is seeking to appoint new Independent Trustee's to join its board of trustees. TheTrustee's will hold the charity ‘in trust’ for current and future beneficiaries by:
- Ensuring that the charity has a clear vision, mission and strategic direction and is focused on achieving these.
- Ensuring that the Charitable Trust complies with its governing document (i.e. its Articles of Association), charity law, company law and any other relevant legislation or regulations.
- Ensuring that the Charitable Trust pursues its objects as defined in its governing document.
- Ensuring the Charitable Trust applies its resources exclusively in pursuance of its objects, i.e. it must not spend money on activities which are not included in the objects, however worthwhile they may be.
- Identification and management of risk.
- Acting as guardians of the charity’s assets, both tangible and intangible, taking all due care over their security, deployment and proper application.
- Take part in formulating and reviewing the strategic aims of the charity
- Ensuring policies and practices are in keeping with aims
- Attend meetings of the trustees and be an active member of the Board in exercising its responsibilities and functions.
- Actively promote the organisation's purpose, values and strategy at all times.
- Ensure that the organisation functions within the legal and financial requirements of a charitable organisation and strives to achieve best practice.
- Contribute specific skills, interests and contacts and support the charity through promoting its activities
- Fulfil such other duties and assignments as may be required from time to time by the trustee body
Skills and abilities
- Positive Attitude
- Strong ambassadorial and influencing skills – inspires trust and confidence quickly
- Committed to improving the lives of local residents
- BLW would particularly welcome candidates with Benefits and Welfare knowledge and strong fundraising skills
- Sound judgement
- Committed to the values of Big Local Works; leads by example in upholding its values and demonstrates the utmost integrity
- Able to galvanise external relationships and build support for Big Local Works
Knowledge and Experience
- Awareness of how charities operate and the role of trustees.
- Ability to contribute to strategic discussions.
- Ability to demonstrate an understanding of social trends and their implications for those in times of hardship.
The position is voluntary and unpaid. Travel, accommodation and subsistence expenses will be reimbursed in line with the Trust's Travel & Expenses policy.
- Attendance at quarterly Trustee meetings at the BLW office in S.Bermondsey
- Decision making on cases above the approval limits of the operational team.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.