About Body & Soul
Body & Soul is a charity dedicated to transforming the life-threatening effects of adverse childhood experiences. Whether someone has been neglected or abused, trafficked, attempted suicide or stigmatised because of HIV – we have helped to liberate thousands of people from the trauma that controls them. Our community provides people of all ages with a wide range of innovative and creative programmes that support physical, mental and emotional health and well-being. We have developed a ‘whole person’ model of care rooted in a strengths-based approach that nurtures connection, healing and growth.
About the role
You will be supporting primarily our weekly Adult Service (30 years plus ) for individuals living with or affected by HIV, you may also be needed to step in and help on other services also. The Tuesday programme is a resource for support, information, encouragement and change. Our members can benefit from services including counselling, legal advice and complementary therapies to workshops on the latest HIV treatment, nutrition advice, managing stress, relationships and wider health issues.
Your role will be assisting the Front of House Manager, in preparing Front of House for a service evening. You’ll need to be confident, enthusiastic and feel capable to multi-task as the role will consist of multiple tasks at once. You will be responsible for registering in all members entering and leaving the building, ensuring that this is recorded accurately and providing a warm and welcoming front of house. You will also support the management of the reception area through answering calls, completing referrals and answering member queries. As such, the role carries responsibility for ensuring security protocols are adhered to, keeping Body & Soul a safe and confidential environment.
The service runs on Tuesday from 4.00 – 9.30pm at our purpose-built centre in Clerkenwell, Islington. It is very important for this role that the volunteer can arrive before 4:30pm if possible but we can be flexible in consideration of work commitments. Volunteers are expected to commit for a weekly basis for a minimum of 6 months. All volunteers at Body & Soul will be subject to an advanced DBS disclosure prior to beginning their volunteering.
We are looking for
• Warmth, friendliness and excellent communication skills
• Proactive, confident and personable approach
• Non-judgemental, adaptable and open-minded
• Ability to use own initiative and an ability to stay cool under pressure
• Passionate about Body & Soul’s aims
• Desirable: experience of hosting or another Front of House/Customer Facing role
In return we will provide
• A full induction/training programme
• Ongoing training from established professionals on a range of topics to support working with vulnerable communities
• Ongoing support from Head of Volunteer Programmes/Front of House Manager
• A programme of social and celebratory recognition events
• A supportive and passionate community
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.