Job Role: Trustee with HR experience
Reports to: Chair of Trustees/Board of Trustees
Remuneration: This role is not accompanied by any financial remuneration, although reasonable expenses for travel may be claimed.
Location: The office is based in London, but we are open to trustees from all around the country.
Who we are and what we do
BAMT is the professional body for music therapy in the UK, providing practitioners with professional support, and both practitioners and non-practitioners with information and training opportunities. We provide a voice for the profession, as well as for those who could benefit from music therapy. As a charity, we are committed to promoting and raising awareness of music therapy, developing understanding of music therapy through providing information to the general public, and supporting the advancement of education, research and professional practice.
What we are looking for
BAMT is a charity and a company. The trustees of the charity are also the Board of directors of the company. We are looking for an experienced HR professional with an interest in music and its effects in healthcare, and commitment to the work BAMT does. Ideally, with lived experience of music therapy, either directly or indirectly. BAMT is working to increase the involvement and impact of representatives of all within our society and would welcome applications from BAME candidates.
The applicant must have:
- A recognised background in HR
- Commitment to the vision, mission and values of the BAMT
- Willingness to meet the minimum time requirement to carry out the role described
- Understanding and acceptance of the legal duties and responsibilities of trusteeship
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively as a member of a diverse and dynamic team
- Good, independent judgment
It is desirable for candidates to have experience of:
- Charity governance
- HR expertise in organisational structure & development
- Lived experience of music therapy, either directly or indirectly
What’s involved in being a trustee
- The Board of Trustees meet 6 times a year between 6-8pm on alternating evenings. Trustees can join these meetings remotely.
- The trustees may be asked to take on specific roles, for example on committees and working parties, and asked to attend additional meetings if necessary.
- All trustees are expected to participate in e-discussion and debate in response to a weekly e-digest.
- Trustees may be contacted by the BAMT core team/permanent staff for support in their specific area of expertise.
- Trustees serve for a term of three years and may not serve more than three terms without a period of at least a year out of office.
A summary of the primary duties of all charity trustees is attached.
If you are interested in applying, please send your CV and a covering letter (1 page maximum) demonstrating your suitability for the role. All completed applications must be received by 11 September 2020.
Following the closing date, we will shortlist applicants based on their ability to meet the person specification. If you have not heard from us by 18 September, please assume you have not been short-listed on this occasion.
Shortlisted applicants will be invited for interview and to meet the CEO and Operations Director w/c 21 September. The decision of the interview panel will be ratified by the Board of Trustees and appointment recommended by them to the BAMT’s AGM in October 2020, subject to satisfactory references (which will be taken up following the decision of the interview panel and before Board ratification).