BGS conferences attract hundreds of delegates, covering the latest advances in research and showcasing the best in clinical quality for improving healthcare of older people. You will have the opportunity to gain valuable events planning experience in a leading national charity specialising in the healthcare of older people. You will support the Conferences and Events Team on a variety of different meetings from planning and preparation to delivering the event on the day. You will be able to attend some BGS events and get on-site experience. You will also have the chance to learn about marketing, communication and membership as part of your volunteer role.
What are we looking for?
• IT literacy, particularly a working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook
• An interest in event management and in pursuing a career in the field
• Experience of providing administrative support
• Good communication and interpersonal skills
• Organisational and planning skills with strong attention to detail
• An enthusiastic team player with a creative and can-do attitude
What will you gain from this experience?
• Hands-on experience and insight into the day-to-day activities of a nationally recognised charity within the healthcare sector
• The chance to develop your skills and enhance your CV in event planning and management
• Practical experience of administration, communication and project planning
• Collaboration with a great team; you will volunteer as part of a team supporting the planning and delivery of BGS events and will have the opportunity to liaise with BGS staff members, local committees, BGS members and officers in planning and delivering successful events
• Exposure to other BGS functions such as communications, social media, membership services, and marketing
• Making a difference to the healthcare of older people, by contributing to the delivery of events that enhance doctors’ and health professionals’ knowledge, understanding and skills.
What is the time commitment?
We are looking to recruit a volunteer who could offer one or two full days per week for a period of approximately three months with a flexible start date. We want you to get the most out of this opportunity and this will give you the chance to collaborate on different parts of the event planning and delivering process. There is some flexibility on dates, so please talk to us if you are interested in the role. You will volunteer in our offices in London (EC1) within our normal office hours Monday-Friday 9am-5pm.
What support will we give you?
• You will receive an induction and any relevant training for your role
• You’ll receive ongoing support from your supervisor, including feedback sessions and review meetings to talk about your involvement with us and your personal development.
• Although the post is unpaid, we offer reimbursement of travel expenses and lunch if volunteering for a full day.
How can you apply?
Email the completed application form available of the BGS website. Start date flexible according to your availabilities. We will contact you to discuss the next steps of your application.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.