Volunteer Role Description
Volunteer Role - Community Speaker Volunteer
Why does the BHF need me?
Here at the British Heart Foundation (BHF) we want to beat heartbreak forever from the world’s biggest killers. Heart and circulatory diseases kill 1 in 4 in the UK and 7 million people are living with heart and circulatory diseases in the UK.
While many people have heard about the BHF, they’re not always fully aware of the full extent of our work. Beat heartbreak forever by helping educate more people in your local area about the importance of the work of the BHF, healthy lifestyles and heart disease.
By becoming a BHF Community Speaker Volunteer, you are joining an empowered network of dedicated volunteer fundraisers who help the BHF to keep hearts beating. We aim to invest £100 million each year into lifesaving research and we could not do this without our dedicated volunteers.
What will I be doing?
Responsibility of the Community Speaker Volunteer:
- Actively engage and build relationships with local groups and associations to give talks on the work of the BHF.
- Represent the charity in your community, acting as the face of the BHF.
- Inspire others to support the BHF and get involved.
- Accept fundraising donations in aid of the BHF from community groups.
- Work alongside your local Fundraising Manager.
What skills and attributes do I need to have?
- Good communication and presentation skills or willing to learn.
- Willing to actively seek opportunities for talks and build relationships in the local community.
- Self-motivation and the ability to motivate others.
- Basic IT skills and access to email.
- Availability for a minimum of one year (following training).
- Flexibility to deliver talks upon request, which may be during school hours or evenings.
- A commitment to the BHF’s values.
What training and support will I be given?
The BHF is committed to ensuring that volunteers have an enjoyable and worthwhile volunteering experience. All Community Speaker Volunteers will have:
- A comprehensive induction to the BHF and training for the role.
- Volunteer Speaker Toolkit with resources for your presentations.
- You will have support from existing volunteers and your local Fundraising Manager, as well as BHF’s Fundraising Support Team.
- The opportunity to gain and develop skills and to meet other volunteers.
- Reimbursement of out of pocket expenses incurred during your volunteering in keeping with our Volunteering Expenses Policy.
Where will I be based?
You will be working in your local community. Your local Fundraising Manager and the BHF Fundraising Support Team will be on hand to support you in your role.
What else do I need to know?
This role can work flexibly to suit your availability and other commitments. The time commitment will vary depending on the time of year and number of groups and associations actively supporting the BHF within your local area.
What’s in it for me? By volunteering with the BHF, you will have the opportunity to make new friends, use your skills to support the BHF and also have fun. You will be making a huge difference to the lives of heart patients today and future generations by raising vital, lifesaving funds to power our ground-breaking research.