Communications and Engagement Volunteer
Hours: Approximately 5 hours per week. Hours are flexible to suit people with busy lives that might include work and/or study and their volunteering.
Our Communications and Engagement Volunteers need to be reasonably accessible and well connected, for example by social media, email and phone (e.g. text, WhatsApp).
About the role
Volunteers are at the heart of the British Red Cross. We want to ensure that the voices of our volunteers are heard, loud and clear. The purpose of this role is to support and foster our network of local volunteers to strengthen our voice and share cross-service information, connecting volunteers, both in their local area and across the UK
Comunications and engagement volunteers will produce and share internal content about the British Red Cross (our successes and challenges), and about what needs to be done to meet our objectives and deliver our mission
About the Team
The British Red Cross Internal Engagement team and work alongside elected Volunteer Representatives, providing insight into how volunteers in a local area think and feel
About the person
A commitment to embrace the values and behaviours of the British Red Cross. You will need to have good interpersonal, diplomacy, communication and teamwork skills.You will also need to show:
- Good written, oral and visual communication skills (capturing stories, video and images for use in our social media and internal channels)
- Experience and competence in using digital channels including intranets and websites as well as social media
- The ability to work effectively with and communicate the views of a diverse group of people (from different geographies, ages, genders, ethnicity, skills)
What we offer
- A unique opportunity to work within a UK wide communications team and help to connect volunteers across all our services
- The chance to support and inspire our volunteers by telling their stories to a local and national audience
- Training on communication and engagement approaches
- Access to the equipment and tools in order to engage with volunteers
- Reimbursement of reasonable expenses while carrying out the role
Young People and this role
We value the energy, enthusiasm, skills and experience that young people can bring to this role. The minimum age for the role is 15+, subject to a risk assessment and parental consent for those aged 15-17.
About the organisation
The British Red Cross helps millions of people in the UK and around the world to prepare for, respond to and recover from emergencies, disasters and conflicts.
We are part of the global Red Cross and Red Crescent humanitarian network and we refuse to ignore people in crisis.