Emergency Response Volunteer (ERV) role
Supporting your local community
If you are compassionate and like helping and meeting people, then this could be the role for you. Volunteers like you will be working alongside the local emergency services every day, from house fires and localised flooding to power cuts and water shortages, the British Red Cross responds to an emergency approximately every 4 hours.
As an Emergency Response Volunteer, you will help people prepare for, respond to and recover from emergencies. Every individual affected will need different support from us and you can be there to help someone when they need it most. Spread the power of kindness with us and help make sure that those who need support get it.
Location: Thurso, must be able to reach Thurso Fire station, KW14 8AG within 30 minutes
Availability: Service operates 24/7. We are looking for volunteers who are able to sign-up for at least 24 hours duty per month.
Driving required: Driving licence preferable but not essential.
What you will be doing
You will be helping provide practical and emotional support to people. Every individual will need different support from us to help, below are some examples of what you might support with:
* Respond to emergency call outs in your local area.
* Provide practical support such as distributing clothing, food or water after emergencies.
* Engage with people and communities affected by emergency and provide emotional support.
* Help ensure people affected know where they can get further support.
* Work in collaboration with local government or emergency services.
* Provide additional ad Hoc support in large scale UK based emergencies.
What's in it for you
* Meet new people and be part of a dynamic and inclusive team.
* A great opportunity to use your existing skills or gain new ones.
* An opportunity to be part of the world's largest humanitarian organisation and the knowledge that you are making a positive difference to people's lives.
* All training and induction for the role.
* Reasonable pre-agreed travel expenses for the role including for attending training.
* UK Resident.
* Uphold the Fundamental Principles of the Red Cross.
* Willing to respond if on call, including unsociable hours.
* Ability to support others and communicate in a calm manner.
* Good listening skills and ability to empathise.
* Ability to act responsibly and follow processes even when under pressure.
Under-18s: The minimum age for this role is 18.
Covid-19 Health and Safety Statement
Please note those who are clinically extremely vulnerable can only volunteer from home at this time. Unfortunately, this means we cannot currently process applications for this role from people in this group.
Deployment into role will be subject to government guidelines and individual and building risk assessments.
This role is not exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.
This role requires applicants undergo an Enhanced PVG for Adults check.
If you have any questions before applying, please contact us at ILCRvolrecruitment @redcross.org.uk