Refugee Peer Educator Volunteer
Have you previously sought sanctuary in the UK? Could you co-produce and facilitate a life skills programme for those who have recently arrived in the UK seeking sanctuary?
We are looking for people who have previously sought sanctuary in the UK as a refugee, asylum seeker or reunited family member to become peer educators and co-produce a life skills programme for those who have recently arrived in the UK seeking sanctuary
About the role
As a Peer Educator Volunteer, you will work as part of a team to co-produce and facilitate a series of life skills education programmes for newly arrived refugees. You will use your shared lived experience and knowledge to help those newly arrived adjust to life in a new country, offering valuable support and advice to ease the process.
About the Team
You would be working as part of the Family Reunion Integration Service. Family Reunion is a key legal route through which refugees obtain protection in the UK, and this project is the UK's first national programme providing holistic integration support for reunited families. You can find out more about this service here
We're looking for someone who is:
- Able to share their insight of integrating into a new country and community
- Understanding about the needs and situation of people seeking sanctuary
- Awareness of the skills people seeking sanctuary will be need be aware of such as their rights and entitlements in the UK, cultural issues etc
- Able to communicate well (ability to speak the language of local refugee population an advantage)
- Willing to uphold the Fundamental Principles of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement and adhere to the British Red Cross Equal Opportunities Policy.
- Aged 18 or over
Typical tasks include
- Sharing insight you have gained from being a refugee, asylum seeker or reunited family member to help coproduce and facilitate a series of lifeskills education programmes for newly arrived refugees
- Providing cultural orientation information, advice and signposting
- Providing information regarding people's rights and entitlements in the UK
- Providing language learning support
- Collating resources or providing other administrative tasks
- Identifying and responding appropriately to safeguarding and protection issues with vulnerable clients, including children and vulnerable adults