Location: Workington Shop
About the role
Are you the face of British Red Cross fundraising?
Our shop volunteers are the first point of contact for customers when they enter our shops. You will be a welcome greeting for all customers providing assistance and ultimately helping increase donations.
You will provide invaluable help through the running of the shop, keeping it stocked and attractively displayed. You can get involved as much or as little as you like by: sorting out stock; putting your own stamp on the shop displays or getting trained in order to serve customers at the till.
Being part of a huge fundraising effort is very motivating, you provide the best service possible by representing the British Red Cross to the local community and raise as much money as possible for the organisation. You even get a 20% discount on donated goods.
About the Team
Helping people in crisis begins at your local charity shop.
Full of gifts, clothes and even the odd vintage gem, our 330 shops across the UK are home to over 6,500 volunteers and 700 paid staff. Our team is bright and bubbly, and we love meeting people from all walks of life.
Our aim is to serve every customer with a smile, and to make sure everyone that visits us has a great experience. We're always aware that every penny raised in our little shop goes straight to helping someone in crisis.
Typical tasks include
- Serving customers, taking cash and proving good all-round customer service
- Unpacking and pricing stock
- Working on window and shop displays
- Keeping the shop tidy, clean and well organised
- Interacting with the general public
About the person
We are looking for:
- Someone with good interpersonal,communication and teamwork skills.
- Someone with the ability to work alone and unsupervised as required
- Someone with the ability to lift and move stock safely
What We Offer:
- Support to develop your retail skills through our in-house retail Volunteer Journey training and our e-learning facility so you can represent the Red Cross with confidence.
- Meeting and working with warm and friendly like-minded people
- Reimbursement of reasonable out-of-pocket expenses whilst volunteering (by prior arrangement with the shop manager).
- A 20% discount on donated goods.
- Being a volunteer for the British Red Cross means that you can proudly say you are part of the world's largest humanitarian organisation, and one of our 13 million volunteers across the world.
Here's a little bit more about us...
The British Red Cross help anyone, anywhere in the UK; get the support they need if crisis strikes.
From hiring a wheelchair or dealing with loneliness, to adjusting to life in a new country - we're there when you need us. Our goal is to connect human kindness with human crisis.
We're part of the global Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement, and we believe in the power of kindness.
Our organisation was born out of a desire to bring help without discrimination. Impartiality and neutrality have been central values for the Red Cross since we started.
We support a huge range of people and we recruit for a diverse workforce - including disabled and ethnic minority candidates. This is to contribute to the breadth of experience we need to respond to people in crisis.
For further information, please call 01900 65 093
Connecting human kindness with human crisis