Support at Home Volunteer
Location: Barnet General Hospital, 3-5 Wellhouse Lane
Commitment: Ideally we are looking for volunteers who can commit to volunteering with us for at least 6 months to 1 year due to the training and induction period and who can commit to 2 hours per week or half a day every 2 weeks between Monday - Friday 9am-5pm.
Volunteers should live within 30 mins travel of the hospital
To volunteer for this role you must be aged 18+, must live in the UK
About the role
The aim of the Support at Home service is to place the person at the centre of what we do and help them get through a crisis by offering positive encouragement, practical help and emotional support, for a few days or for longer, depending on their needs.
About the person
We keep the beneficiary at the heart of what we do, working to understand their needs and the difference we make. You need to have good interpersonal, diplomacy, communication and teamwork skills and full training can be given for any necessary technical requirements. Also:
* Sensitivity when working with people vulnerable to crisis and an interest in their well-being
* An ability to provide patient, positive encouragement with the aim of helping people to help themselves
* An understanding of the differing physical needs of service users
* Ability to work independently and as an effective member of a team
* Willingness to attend volunteer induction and appropriate training for the role
* Uphold the Fundamental Principles of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement and adhering to the Society's Equal Opportunities Policy
This role requires volunteers to have a DBS / PVG / Access NI check to the appropriate level, this requires an update every three years.
Tasks Included in this Role:
* Visiting the service user on their arrival home from hospital.
* Keeping someone company for a few hours at a time.
* Helping with practical tasks like shopping, collecting prescriptions and light meal preparation.
* Sitting with the service user and relieving the relative or carer of continuous care.
* Keeping paper records of contact and activities undertaken with the service user.
After you apply for the role someone from our friendly recruitment team will be in touch with you to arrange an interview. This will be an opportunity for us to find out more about you and for you to find out more about the role. Following this interview if we both agree to continue with recruitment we will invite you to meet the team and attend an induction day where you can find out more about what it is like to be a volunteer for the British Red Cross.
If there is anything you would like to find out more about prior to applying for the role we would love to
hear from you, please e-mail us at:
Connecting human kindness with human crisis
More about British Red Cross
Posted on: 26 March 2020
Closed date: 05 April 2020
Job ref: REQ0000029UE