Support at Home Volunteer
Commitment: 2 hours a week (weekends included)
About the role
The aim of the Support at Home service is to place the person at the centre of what we do and help them get through a crisis by offering positive encouragement, practical help and emotional support, for a few days or for longer, depending on their needs.
About the person
We keep the beneficiary at the heart of what we do, working to understand their needs and the difference we make. You need to have good interpersonal, diplomacy, communication and teamwork skills and full training can be given for any necessary technical requirements. Also:
* Sensitivity when working with people vulnerable to crisis and an interest in their well-being
* An ability to provide patient, positive encouragement with the aim of helping people to help themselves
* An understanding of the differing physical needs of service users
* Ability to work independently and as an effective member of a team
* Willingness to attend volunteer induction and appropriate training for the role
* Uphold the Fundamental Principles of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement and adhering to the Society's Equal Opportunities Policy
This role requires volunteers to have a DBS / PVG / Access NI check to the appropriate level, this requires an update every three years.
Tasks Included in this Role:
* Visiting the service user on their arrival home from hospital.
* Keeping someone company for a few hours at a time.
* Helping with practical tasks like shopping, collecting prescriptions and light meal preparation.
* Sitting with the service user and relieving the relative or carer of continuous care.
* Keeping paper records of contact and activities undertaken with the service user.
After you apply for the role someone from our friendly recruitment team will be in touch with you to arrange an interview. This will be an opportunity for us to find out more about you and for you to find out more about the role. Following this interview if we both agree to continue with recruitment we will invite you to meet the team and attend an induction day where you can find out more about what it is like to be a volunteer for the British Red Cross. Please see below the schedule for this round of recruitment:
* Interview date: 21/04/2020
* Meet and Greet with team: 06/05/2020
* Induction Day: 16/05/2020
Please do not worry if you cannot make the dates above as we can offer alternatives
If there is anything you would like to find out more about prior to applying for the role we would love to
hear from you, please e-mail us at:
The British Red Cross, incorporated by Royal Charter 1908, is a charity registered in England and Wales (220949) and Scotland (SC037738).
Follow us on Twitter @RedCrossJobsUK and on Linked in - British Red Cross, to hear about our latest job vacancies.
Connecting human kindness with human crisis