400,000 participants across the UK are limbering up to join the fight against cancer, but they can’t cross the finish line without the passion and energy of Event Day volunteers like you.
Our events raise an incredible £40million each year and this funds our researchers who are working hard to make sure 3 in 4 people survive cancer by 2034.
Whether you want to help at a Race for Life 5k, 10k or Pretty Muddy event, we’ve got more than 400 across the UK to choose from.
Bring your energy, smiles and passion and let’s beat cancer together.
What kind of person we are looking for:
We’re on the lookout for individuals and groups who are
- Enthusiastic and willing to get stuck in.
- Willing to get their hands dirty (literally at our Pretty Muddy events but trust us, it’s great fun!)
- Flexible and who can use their own initiative.
- Team players – you’ll be joining a lovely bunch of other volunteers!
- Good communicators.
At Cancer Research UK we value diversity. We're committed to creating an inclusive culture where everyone is able to be themselves and to reach their full potential. We actively encourage applications from people of all backgrounds and cultures and believe that a diverse volunteer community will help us to beat cancer.
What you'll be doing
As an event day volunteer, you'll be getting hands-on to help deliver some of our great events and provide a fantastic experience. No two events are the same, but you could find yourself doing some of the below activities, all of which play an important part*:
- Helping set-up and pack down the event - This might include the course, signage, banners and marquees and getting water to the finish line.
- Support on the course - You could be located at one of our marshal points, cheering and encouraging our participants to keep them going along the course, or at the finish point handing out the well-deserved bottle of water and medal. Perhaps you'll help take some photos for the CRUK social media pages too!
- Answering queries at our information points - You'll help answer queries from participants and spectators during the event. From simple directions to processing on-the-day entries, swapping t-shirts and replacing runner numbers.
This is just a sneak peak of some of the ways you'll be involved and is not an exhaustive list. No matter what you do you’ll know you are making a huge difference to those taking part in our amazing events.
What’s in it for you
Volunteering at Race for Life has a host of benefits, including:
- Developing new and existing skills in event management.
- Gaining valuable experience for future roles.
- Gaining a unique insight into the world of the charity sector.
- Meeting new people and having fun.
- Travel and other reasonable expenses reimbursed, as agreed in advance with your Event Manager. Please see the Volunteering Policy(link is external).
- Helping to make our events happen and beating cancer sooner.
- And last but not least, a fantastic day to remember.
Your commitment and location
- Event season normally runs from May to October, all over the UK.
- You can join us at one or more of our events at locations which work for you.
- Most events take place at weekends.
- Hours vary. Some events have early starts or late finishes but we'll always discuss your availability with you!
- You can view our calendar of events here to find your closest event.
What support we provide
You will be briefed by one of our event team staff when you arrive so that you know exactly what you'll be doing. You'll then be supported and guided by them throughout the event, as well as the Event Manager.
We'll also provide light refreshments, a t-shirt and a great atmosphere which you'll be sure to love!