Financial Director, Charity Football League
The Charity Football League raises money for charity by running football leagues in the Oxford area. The League is currently looking for a volunteer Financial Director to support the board in creating and implementing a strategy that will see the league grow beyond Oxford and raise more money for charity. The role is an exciting opportunity to be part of a social enterprise that raises money for charity while bringing together people in the local community through football played in the right spirit. We are looking for someone with an understanding of budgeting and financial support to assist the league as it branches out and seeks a new phase of growth. You may have experience of accounting, managing budgets or financial forecasting. Experience of working with charities and social enterprises is of advantage but not essential.
About the Charity Football League
The Charity Football League was set up in 2012 as a social enterprise to raise money for Jacari, a local education charity working with young children who do not speak English as their first language and are at risk of missing out on achieving their potential. Jacari recruits and trains volunteer tutors to support these children, improving their English, enabling them to fulfil their potential and better integrate into the community.
7 years after later the Charity Football League has raised over £70,000 for Jacari. Our vision is to grow the Charity Football League beyond Oxford, running competitive leagues throughout the country, bringing people together through football and raising money for charity.
While unpaid, volunteering for the Charity Football League is an exciting, enjoyable and invaluable opportunity to work in a fast growing and small social enterprise, gaining exposure to and experience within a small business. Plus, volunteers' work is crucial in raising vital funds for Jacari.
The Financial Director’s duties include:
● Financial oversight of the league – liaising with Coordinator to set budget, monitor the league health and respond to changes in financial circumstances
● Oversee timely filing of accounts and assist the HR Director in Payroll duties where necessary
● Update the board and shareholders on financial progress regularly and provide financial report for the quarterly board meeting
Required experience/ skills
● Strong organisational and communication skills
● Experience of financial management or budgeting
● Initiative, enthusiasm and a willingness to learn
● Experience managing a range of tasks
● Passion for football and community projects
● Experience in the management of accounts
● Understanding of the third sector and associated challenges
All directors have the following duties
● Set and review the league’s strategy with the aim of running an inclusive and competitive football league that raises money for charity
● Work to ensure the successful running and management of the league
● Salary: nul, the role is voluntary
● Availability for quarterly meetings and capacity for specific board projects (up to 4 hours a month)
● Start Date: Immediate start
● Oxford-based, remote working
In addition, we are looking for directors to take on additional responsibilities
● Chair of the Board – ensures regular board meetings, that directors are up to date with league developments, manages board, ensures board is trained sufficiently to perform duties, ensures board is resourced to deliver strategy
● Brand and marketing – set league marketing strategy to build a sustainable brand, oversees the implementation and review of the marketing strategy, report on progress to board
● HR – management of league employees and payroll, ensure league compliance with HMRC and Companies’ House, ensure GDPR compliance
How to apply
Email us with your CV and a cover letter detailing your relevant experience.