Chair of Trustees
We are seeking an enthusiastic and committed individual who shares our vision and has a proven ability in strong leadership and organisational governance. You will provide leadership and direction to the Board of Trustees and enable the Board to fulfil their responsibilities for the overall governance and strategic direction of the organisation. In addition, you will be responsible for ensuring that the organisation pursues its objects as defined in its governing document, charity law, company law and other relevant legislation/regulations. You will act as an ambassador of the charity and play an important role in managing relationships with key stakeholders.
We are looking for experienced applicants, who show:
- solid experience of chairing meetings at Board level
- knowledge and experience of governance or management
- leadership ability
- integrity, strategic vision and good/independent judgement
- a willingness to devote the necessary time and effort to their duties
- ability to take decisions for the good of the organisation and it’s beneficiaries
- good communication skills
- tact and diplomacy
- independently minded and open to the views of others
- an ability to work effectively as a member of a team and bring differing viewpoints to a consensus
- an ability to recognise and manage conflicts of interest
- understanding of the migrants rights’ sector in the UK and previous
- The Board meets at least 4 times a year and the Chair is expected to be available at each meeting.
- It is important that the Chair is able to visit the organisation’s office and be available to the Chief Executive/senior paid staff members on a regular basis.
- In addition to Board Meetings, other contact – usually electronic or by telephone to catch up
We particularly welcome and encourage applications from individuals who are migrants or refugees, and who have lived experience of the impact of immigration policy and practice.
Like most not-for-profit board roles this position is unremunerated, however reasonable out of pocket expenses incurred fulfilling the duties of the role will be reimbursed.
Please send a CV and a personal statement describing how you meet the person specification, and why you want this role. Closing date for applications is 20 August 2019
Interviews will be arranged during early September
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.