Job title: Strategic Communications Volunteer Intern
Job type: Full time
Salary: Unpaid (reasonable expenses provided)
Location: Remote working, preferably able to work occasionally in London when COVID restrictions are fully lifted
Reports to: Strategic Communications Manager at the Climate Crisis Foundation
Applications no later than 21 May. Candidates will be considered on a rolling basis.
While we would ideally like someone to join us for three months, we are also willing to consider shorter time periods.
Preferred start date: 14 June
Preferred end date: 17 September
The Climate Crisis Foundation is a registered charity that runs the Global Returns Project: an innovative campaign with a simple plan for funding climate solutions at scale. The Global Returns Project empowers pioneering individuals to Reinvest in Earth: commit 0.25% of their savings and investments annually to the most effective not-for-profit climate initiatives. It also works with financial institutions to make Reinvesting in Earth normal and easy for everyone.
By Reinvesting in Earth, the Global Returns Project’s supporters show financial institutions how to encourage similar commitments from their clients. And with financial institutions on board, just 3% of individuals with savings and investments could generate $10 billion every year as Reinvestors.
To learn more about our work, visit http://www.globalreturnsproject.earth.
What we are looking for
The Climate Crisis Foundation is looking for a skilled and self-motivated communicator to serve as Strategic Communications Volunteer Intern during the summer of 2021.
This is an exciting opportunity to gain valuable experience at a fast-moving climate start-up. The ideal candidate will have a good understanding of climate change and a multimedia communications skillset. The role will report directly to the Strategic Communications Manager and will encompass activities that are central to any career in not-for-profits, PR, marketing, sales, journalism and other sectors.
The successful candidate will play an integral role in supporting the communications campaigns of the Global Returns Project. This will include video editing, graphic design, writing, researching and social media work. Candidates with strong communications skills will be trained in basic video and graphic design work.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Attending and contributing to weekly meetings related to promotion, social media, etc.
- Support in planning and execution of Global Returns Project events, including speaker invitations, graphic design, promotion, and day-of logistics
- Review of climate or finance-related research reports
- Review of articles, videos and podcasts for fortnightly newsletter
- Ad hoc climate or not-for-profit-related research projects
- Posting regular social media content to the Global Returns Project’s Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram and YouTube pages/channels
- Monitoring and analysis of social media data
- Support for social media advertising campaigns
Basic Video Editing
- Basic video editing, assembling short video interviews, advertisements and other promotional material
- Candidates with strong communications skills without prior video experience will receive basic training
- Basic designing of social media graphics, campaign publications, event advertisements, and other campaign materials
- Candidates with strong communications skills without prior design experience will receive basic training
No professional experience required
Prior marketing or communications experience preferred.
- Creativity and effective communication skills
- Strong interest in and understanding of climate change
- Strong time-management
- Self-starter, adaptable and self-motivated
- Strong writing and researching skills
Skills preferred but not required
- Basic video editing
- Basic graphic design
- Photo editing (Photoshop, etc.)
- Animation experience
- Coding and data analysis (social media metrics, Google Analytics, etc.)
- Customer Relations Management (CRM) experience (Salesforce, etc.)
Applicants should respond with a CV and cover letter to the Strategic Communications Manager, Jack Chellman. Please also include the name, email and phone number of a reference we can contact.