We are seeking volunteers to assist our adult ESOL classes on Mondays, 10.30am to 12.30pm.
As a volunteer Assistant ESOL Teacher your role is flexible and varied, but will involve supporting the Lead Teacher in the delivery of the classes as well as providing learners with one-to-one support.
Tasks and responsibilities
The role of a volunteer Assistant ESOL Teacher is flexible, but can include:
- Providing learners with 1:1 support within ESOL classes;
- Registering new students and conducting 1:1 ESOL assessments;
- Supporting the Lead Teacher to complete session paperwork, including registers;
- Attending and contributing to volunteer debriefs after each session;
- Communicating via email with ESOL Coordinator and Lead Teacher regarding planning of sessions;
- Finding resources and planning lessons in collaboration with the Lead Teacher;
- Preparing refreshments for the sessions;
- Covering classes for absent teachers (lesson materials will be provided);
- Attending termly teacher meetings and training sessions as required.
Benefits of volunteering with CARAS
Volunteer Assistant ESOL Teachers will have the opportunity to:
- Develop their teaching practice through attending in-house ESOL training, working with other teachers and being signposted to optional external training opportunities;
- Receive support and feedback on teaching from the ESOL Coordinator through teaching observations and supervision meetings;
- Obtain a work reference after a period of three months’ continuous volunteering.
All volunteers at CARAS are entitled to a reimbursement of travel expenses for all journeys to/from CARAS activities (within London zones 1-6).