Computer Learning Volunteer (Basic Courses)
Age UK Bristol is a forward thinking organisation, specialising in older people's issues. It is committed to working with and for older people in Bristol to provide relevant information and support services, enabling them to maintain their independence and quality of life.
Our aims are to:
Increase effective partnership working
Purpose of the Computer Learning Volunteer Role
To deliver computer-learning courses for older people, including basic key board skills, internet search, sending and receiving e-mails, basic word processing and online safety.
The role involves
- Delivering between 5 and 6 courses x 2 hour sessions, each course is delivered by a minimum of 2 volunteers.
- Adhering to all Age UK Bristol policies and procedures, such as Confidentiality, Health and Safety and Equal Opportunities.
- Attending training sessions and volunteer meetings as appropriate.
The role will require you
- To assist older people to get online safely.
- To deliver structured courses in line with the Age UK Bristol course formats.
- To develop material for the courses (when necessary).
- To answer questions and queries during the IT courses.
- To build the confidence of an Older person and computing.
The qualities and skills required for this role are
- Excellent communication and listening skills
- Patience and an ability to explain things clearly
- Ability to teach older people how to use a computer
- Ability to work as part of as team
- As a minimum you will need experience in the use of Microsoft Word, Internet Explorer, and web-based email
- An understanding of the needs of older people
- A commitment to equal opportunities and social justice issues
2- 3 hours per week on Tuesdays. Times will depend on the courses programme
We offer induction training and other relevant training opportunities to enable you to fulfil this volunteer role, including shadowing opportunities.
Age UK Bristol, the Withywood Centre, Queens Road, Bristol, BS13 8QA
Age UK Bristol will pay all reasonable out of pocket travel expenses.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.