Concordia is a charity committed to international volunteering as a means to promoting intercultural understanding and peace.
We’re looking for motivated volunteers to help with leading international volunteer groups on a UK residential project. All you need is one or two weeks spare at some point over the summer, some previous volunteering experience, motivation to work with people from around the world, lots of energy, a willingness to learn/get involved and to come to our two-day preparation training in Sussex. Easy!
In our projects our coordinators will lead either teams of volunteers aged 18+ or younger volunteers aged 15-17. You can let us know what age range you would prefer to work with on your application form.
In order to apply, you need to attend a 2-day training in Portslade on 4th-5th April 2020.
What is the training about?
- A two-day training weekend on preparing to be a group coordinator for Concordia.
- The training will cover skills from conflict management and intercultural learning to group cooking and team bonding!
- Once you’ve completed the training you can go on to co-ordinate an international group on a community project in the UK.
- Projects range from environmental work to helping to prepare festival sites to working with children. You’ll receive more information about the 2020 options at the training weekend. For projects with volunteers aged 15-17 we will be able to provide information earlier if you are interested in them.
Why should I get involved?
- Do something different
- Meet people from all over the world without leaving the UK (cut back your carbon emissions!)
- Improve your leadership skills and learn new skills
- Participate in meaningful community projects
- Looks great on your CV
- Become an active volunteer for Concordia and access other training and future opportunities
- Could help you to get a job or career within the charity/voluntary sector
- When working with teenagers, get more experience in working with youth/youth work
There is no fee to join the training – we only need your commitment and motivation!
Food and accommodation: Concordia will provide lunch and refreshments for all participants on Saturday and Sunday. For dinner you will have to pay for your own food and, if you want to, we would propose to all go together for a pub meal in Brighton. We can offer participants free accommodation for the night – this is very basic (mixed dorm room, no showers and sleeping on camp-beds; please bring your roll mat and sleeping bag). If you want to find a different accommodation, please let us know and we can recommend a nice friendly hostel in Brighton with very reasonable prices.
All costs covered on the project and travel costs refunded. If you go on to successfully coordinate a project, you can claim back your travel costs for the training weekend (within the UK). Also, coordinators do not pay anything to join the project they’re coordinating, all costs covered by Concordia. We’ll also cover your travel costs to/from the project (within the UK).
How do I get involved?
Request an application pack by emailing our UK Volunteer Programme Coordinator