The Council for British Research in the Levant (“CBRL”) is seeking to appoint a new Honorary Treasurer from March 2020. CBRL is a research charity and membership organisation which operates the UK’s overseas research institutes in Amman and East Jerusalem and supports academic research across a broad range of subject areas – from archaeology to modern social science – in the Middle Eastern countries of Jordan, Palestine, Israel, Lebanon, Syria and Cyprus. CBRL has 12 staff across 3 locations and an income of c£1million, derived from government and research grants and its various activities.
CBRL is one of the British International Research Institutes (BIRI), a network of overseas research organisations that operate in Europe, Africa and the Middle East. All the BIRI conduct research, collaborate with overseas and UK-based partners, and provide facilities, training and financial, academic and logistical support to researchers. The BIRI also run events and outreach programmes, held in the UK and overseas. UK BIRI staff share office facilities at the British Academy.
The charity has been through significant change in recent years, broadening its sources of funding and professionalising its processes. This is expected to continue, and the Hon Treasurer will play a key role in helping to drive the Strategic Plan.
Accounts are maintained on Xero with inputs from CBRL staff and period end accounting provided by an outsourced bookkeeping service.
Working with the Chair, Trustees and Senior Leadership team, the role of the new Hon Treasurer will involve:
- overseeing the strategic financial management of the charity to ensure that CBRL achieves a financially sustainable position and builds appropriate reserves;
- overseeing and presenting budgets, internal management accounts and annual financial statements to trustees;
- involvement, with management and other Hon Officers, in strategic planning and in presentation of plans to potential funders and stakeholders;
- leading in the trustees’ duty to ensure that proper accounting records are kept and that effective financial procedures and controls are in place;
- advising on the financial implications of the charity’s strategic plan;
- board-level liaison with the external auditor;
- ad hoc advice and support for the management team and Trustees on financial matters;
- chairing the Finance & Governance Sub-Committee;
- supporting fundraising and sustainability initiatives to secure the future of CBRL; and
- playing a representational role for CBRL when required.
Person specification: Essential (E) and Desirable (D)
- Ability to communicate clearly and explain financial information to Trustees and other stakeholders (E)
- Accountancy qualification or strong business finance experience (E)
- Analytical and evaluation skills, demonstrating good judgment. (E)
- Understanding of financial controls, systems and procedures (E)
- Knowledge of charity SORP and charity law and regulation, or willingness to learn (E).
- Understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship and company directorship. (E)
- British citizen or resident in the UK (E)
- General business experience of international operations and/or the Middle East (D)
- Familiarity with research environment/research grants (D)
- Experience of project appraisal and fundraising from a financial perspective (D)
- Competent use of IT skills (D)
Location is flexible but UK residency is required. Commitment is circa two-three days per month, term four years. Trustee meetings are held four times a year in London or by online video conferencing. The Hon Treasurer also chairs the Finance & Governance sub-committee, which meets four times a year on the same day as the Trustee meetings. There are also regular online meetings between Honorary Officers and senior management.
Please send an email setting out your interest in the role, and attaching a CV, to CBRL’s Director, Dr Carol Palmer via the link available in this advert. We will contact candidates as and when they apply to appoint asap but we ask that interested parties please submit expressions of interest by Monday 31st August 2020.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.