The Council for British Research in the Levant (“CBRL”) is seeking to appoint new Trustees from December 2019. CBRL is a research charity and membership organisation which operates the UK’s overseas research institutes in Amman and East Jerusalem and supports academic research across a broad range of subject areas – from archaeology to modern social science – in the countries of the Near East. CBRL has 13 staff across 3 locations and an income of c£1million, derived from government and research grants and its various activities.
CBRL is a member of the British International Research Institutes (“BIRI”), a group of independent charities sharing an office at the British Academy in central London. The charity has been through significant change in recent years, broadening its sources of funding and professionalising its processes. This is expected to continue, and the Trustees will play a key role in helping to drive the Strategic Plan.
CBRL is seeking to recruit up to five new Trustees, and is particularly seeking expressions of interest from candidates who have any of the following:
· An academic research background, with UK academic knowledge and / or experience
· Regional expertise
· Legal and/or HR background
· Experience of charity governance
· Overseas organisation management experience
· Fundraising experience
Trustee roles involve:
· overseeing the strategic management of the charity
· membership of no less than one subcommittee and ad hoc working groups
· attendance at quarterly Board and subcommittee meetings in London
· ad hoc advice and support for the management team
· representing CBRL at external events and conferences
· working with staff to establish a programme of events
· supporting fundraising and sustainability initiatives to secure the future of CBRL
· assessing research grant applications and prizes (academic trustees only)
During the four-year term members shall comply with their obligations as Trustees of the charity and Directors of the company.
Please send expressions of interest including a CV and a short biography to the UK Executive Officer, Rachel Telfer, via email. Deadline to receive expressions of interest Monday 9 September 2019. Final nominations will be selected by the Board of Trustees in September 2019 for proposal to the membership in November and appointment at the AGM in December 2019. All nominees must be members of CBRL. If you are not already a member you can sign up via the CBRL website.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.