Darjeeling Children’s Trust is looking for an experienced, passionate professional to become our new Treasurer, and join us as a Trustee.
Our vision is to create a brighter future for children and young people in Darjeeling, India. We do that by:
- Improving the opportunities for the education of children and young people in the Darjeeling area, including through individual sponsorship and by providing money and support;
- Improving their social and living conditions where these affect the children’s ability to fully benefit from educational opportunities;
- Working with local people to identify projects and priorities for action;
- Maximising the value and cost effectiveness of funds.
We are a UK-registered charity working to create a brighter future for children and young people in Darjeeling, India. Since we were established in 2008, we have transformed the lives of hundreds of children and young people. Over that time we have raised and spent over £750,000 in Darjeeling, through which we have sponsored 70 children to attend good quality schools, paid for over 50 young people to receive vocational training, provided extra-curricular literacy and music lessons, paid for improvements and essential supplies at municipal schools, and invested over £200,000 in a successful project to rehome 100 children out of unsafe and unhealthy accommodation.
We place a strong emphasis on working in partnership with the local community in Darjeeling, through our India-based Trustees and networks. We were delighted to be nominated as a finalist at the British Indian Awards 2020, in recognition of our successful approach.
This is an exciting time to join the Trust. The next two years should see completion of a major project to rebuild the Kripasaran Buddhist Mission children’s home, a project which the Trust has been supporting for a number of years. Completion of the project will provide the opportunity to refresh our priorities and set a new direction. As a Trustee you will help to develop our future vision, and grow our partnerships with the local community in India. This rewarding role provides a unique opportunity to be part of an enthusiastic and friendly charity, and to make a real difference to the lives of children in a fascinating part of the world.
We are seeking someone to become our Treasurer and join our Board of Trustees. As our Treasurer, you will:
- Take responsibility for the Trust accounts, maintaining an accurate record of income and outgoings, ensuring planned activity is affordable, maintaining sufficient reserves, and ensuring the Trust complies with Charity Commission guidance on financial management;
- Secure approval of the Trust accounts from an independent auditor on an annual basis;
- Maintain relationships with project leads and Trustees in Darjeeling to ensure sound financial oversight of how funds are spent and receipted;
- Carry out transfers of funds from the UK to Darjeeling, making sure legal requirements for transfers are met.
As one of our Trustees, you will:
- Maintain a good understanding of Trust business, and be part of developing the Trust’s future strategy and operating model;
- Contribute alongside other Trustees to fundraising activity, helping to raise the profile of the Trust, increase our supporter base and grow awareness and support for among your networks personal networks.
We are seeking a treasurer with accountancy experience who is looking for a new and rewarding challenge. You will bring:
- Proven experience of accountancy and financial management, including managing accounts and working with UK audit requirements;
- A basic knowledge of the legal and regulatory framework governing charities in the UK;
- A pragmatic and flexible approach to working with partners overseas;
- An ability to build and maintain relationships, whether with project leads in India or supporters in the UK and beyond;
- The time and energy to make a commitment to this role;
- A passion for India, for helping children and young people, and an enthusiasm for our future vision.
Experience of working with overseas partners, or of working in the third sector, is desirable but not essential. More important is your commitment to playing a full role in the management and development of the Trust, through your leadership of sound financial management. We are seeking a commitment to this role of at least three years. If successful you will be required to obtain a check from the Disclosure and Barring Service.
A handover will be provided by the current Treasurer, and the successful candidate will have the opportunity to shadow the incumbent before taking over the role fully. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to travel to Darjeeling to meet our partners and learn about our projects.
This role is offered on a voluntary, unpaid basis, although expenses incurred through Trust business may be claimed. Trustees may be based anywhere in the UK; we currently have Trustees based in London, Bristol, Oxfordshire and Yorkshire.
You will be expected to attend meetings of the Trustee board, which are routinely held four times a year at weekends, with meetings alternating every quarter between in-person and video call (all meetings are held remotely at the current time). Otherwise there is flexibility for Trustees to carry out their role remotely at a time to suit them, to fit around other commitments.
Darjeeling Children’s Trust is a diverse and inclusive organisation and welcomes applications from all candidates, regardless of background. Candidates are very welcome to contact us before applying for more information about the role or the Trust.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.