Do you enjoy arts and crafts and getting to know new people?
“My name is ‘Abby’. I am a friendly older woman, looking for a volunteer who would be happy to come to my home once a week to have a cup of tea and enjoy doing some arts and crafts with me.
"I really enjoy having other people’s company and would love to spend some time with someone who shares the same interest as me. When we get to know each other it would be nice to go out to a cafe.”
Our volunteer buddies have developed some wonderful friendships with the people we support, so come and make a positive difference to ‘Abby’s’ life and your own!
Activities will include:
- Having a chat and getting to know 'Abby' over a cup of tea!
- Planning and offering support with specific activities, such as arts and crafts, cooking and playing games
- Creating things together, such as collages, cards and pictures
- Playing games together, such as bingo and ‘matching’ games
- Pamper time with painting ‘Abby’s nails!
- Supporting 'Abby' to make a purchase in a cafe
Activities will NOT include: Personal care, medication or financial assistance.
We are looking for a volunteer who is:
- Creative, enthusiastic and has some experience in arts and crafts
- Friendly, polite and a good listener
- Comfortable chatting with people with learning disabilities and autism
- Willing to commit to volunteer regularly (exact times and days can be discussed)
A DBS check and two character references will be required for this role.
How Discovery is managing Covid-19:
We confirm we have complied with the government guidance on managing the risk of COVID-19. We would like to assure applicants and new starters that Discovery is taking all possible steps to minimise risks to volunteers and colleagues during the coronavirus pandemic.
What you’ll gain from being a Discovery volunteer:
Our volunteers play a vital role in our work and in return, we support them with:
- Free certificated training (with access to 800 plus courses)
- Free membership to an online shopping discount scheme
- Comprehensive support from professional, friendly and trained Discovery staff
- Reasonable expenses may be reimbursed at the manager's discretion
- An opportunity to gain real experience in the social care sector
Want to apply for this role?
If you’d like to be a Discovery volunteer, we’d love to hear from you!
Simply click on Apply with Charity Jobs below.