Are you an experienced and dynamic leader with human resources or legal expertise? Are you committed to improving humanitarian outcomes? Do you want a new challenge that supports an innovative and growing charity?
Elrha is a global charity that finds solutions to complex humanitarian problems through research and innovation. We are an established actor in the humanitarian community, working in partnership with humanitarian organisations, researchers, innovators, and the private sector to tackle some of the most difficult challenges facing people all over the world.
We equip humanitarian responders with knowledge of what works, so that people affected by crises get the right help when they need it most. We have supported more than 200 world-class research studies and innovation projects, championing new ideas and different approaches to evidence what works in humanitarian response.
Elrha is a charity and wholly owned subsidiary of Save the Children, but in the process of transitioning to full independence.
We are look for an additional trustee with a HR background to support with:
- Ensuring highest standards of governance in policies and practice related to employee relations, recruitment, retention, reward and recognition as well as staff and trustee development.
- Assessing risks and measuring the impact of HR interventions in the light of changing legal requirements and best practice.
- Implementing organisational policies and practices in the context of furthering charitable objectives and evaluating how they impact staff.
- Ensuring long-term strategic oversight of the organisation’s human resources and legal requirements in relation to the overarching goals of the charity.
We would also be interested in hearing from candidates with a legal background.
You will be passionate about improving the humanitarian system and you will provide support and strategic guidance, initially focussed on Elrha’s transition to full independence, and supporting it in diversifying and growing its funding sources. You will assume all the usual duties of a charity trustee, including:
- Contributing actively to the Board of Trustees' role in giving firm strategic direction to Elrha, and evaluating performance against agreed targets
- Ensuring that Elrha complies with its governing document, charity law, company law and any other relevant legislation or regulations
- Ensuring that Elrha pursues its objects as defined in its governing document
- Ensuring Elrha uses its resources exclusively in pursuance of its objects
- Ensuring that Elrha conducts its activities within a clear moral context
- Safeguarding the good name and values of Elrha
- Ensuring the financial stability and effective and efficient administration of Elrha
- Overseeing the management of Elrha’s assets and ensure the proper use of Elrha’s funds
- Appointing the Chief Executive
- Advising on other issues in which the Trustee has special expertise
The Board of Trustees meets once per quarter in central London during normal business hours. Teleconferencing facilities can be made available when required, but Trustees are preferred to attend in person where possible. You may be asked for specific additional advice and/or support on an ad hoc basis, though this will not be overly onerous. As a Trustee we would expect you to attend internal Elrha events where appropriate and external events as an ambassador for the organisation. As a guide, we would expect a commitment of around 4-8 hours per month.
The initial term for all appointed Trustees is a period of three years. If reappointed, Trustees are eligible to serve two consecutive terms.
Like most not-for-profit board roles this position is unremunerated, however reasonable out of pocket expenses incurred fulfilling the duties of the role will be reimbursed subject to the limits set out in our expenses policy.
Please visit our website for further details on how to apply.
Closing date for applications is 23 August 2019.
Interviews are expected to be arranged during September.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.