Haringey Migrant Support Centre (HMSC) is looking for a new Treasurer, who will also be a Trustee. HMSC’s mission is to identify and improve the legal position and personal well-being of migrants – irrespective of their status – especially those living in the London Borough of Haringey and elsewhere in London.
Duties of the Treasurer
In addition to the general duties of a trustee, the treasurer has particular responsibilities to maintain an overview of HMSC’s activities, ensuring they remain sustainable and that we use our resources effectively to achieve the organisation’s aims. They also need to ensure HMSC maintains the highest level of financial governance and reporting.
Duties as a Trustee
- Ensure that HMSC complies with its governing document, charity law, company law and any other relevant legislation or regulations
- Ensure that HMSC pursues its objects as defined in its governing document
- Ensure HMSC applies its resources exclusively in pursuance of its objects and does not spend money on activities which are not included in the objects, however worthwhile they may be
- Contribute actively to the board of trustees by giving firm strategic direction to HMSC, setting overall policy, defining goals, setting targets, and evaluating performance against agreed targets
- Safeguard the good name and values of HMSC
- Ensure the financial stability of HMSC
Specific responsibilities of the Treasurer
- Overseeing, approving and presenting budgets, accounts and financial statements to the board
- Being assured that the financial resources of the organisation meet its present and future needs
- Ensuring that the charity has appropriate financial policies, including a policy on reserves
- Ensuring that appropriate accounting procedures and controls are in place
- Inputting into the financial aspects of income generation activities and fundraising applications
- Liaising with staff and volunteers about financial matters
- Advising on the financial implications of the organisation’s strategic plans
- Ensuring the accounts are prepared in accordance with financial best practice and meet the requirements of the regulators, funders and the relevant statutory bodies
- Ensuring the accounts are audited and any recommendations of the auditors are implemented appropriately
- Keeping the board informed about its financial duties and responsibilities
- Making a formal presentation of the accounts at the annual general meeting and drawing attention to important points in a coherent and easily understandable way
- Approval of trustee and staff expenses in the absence of the Chair
- Approving expenditure in accordance with bank mandates and the organisation’s financial procedures policies
This is a voluntary role and trustees receive no remuneration. Reasonable expenses can be claimed in line with HMSC’s expense policy, for attendance at board and other meetings and HMSC events necessary for the fulfilment of the treasurer’s duties.
Minimum time commitment
- The treasurer is expected to attend all trustees board meetings each year, currently held 6.30-8.30 pm every 6 weeks.
- In addition, the treasurer is expected to attend and present at HMSC’s annual general meeting in November or December each year.
- We estimate that the average minimum time commitment required will be six hours per month, but more could be required at certain times
The treasurer must have:
- a recognised financial qualification and relevant financial experience, including of tax and pension schemes
- ideally, experience of charity finance
- ideally, a good working knowledge of Quick Books
- ability to provide clear and meaningful reports
- a commitment to the mission of HMSC
- a willingness to meet the minimum time requirement
- strategic vision
- good, independent judgement
- an ability to think creatively
- a willingness to speak their mind
- an understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship
- an ability to work effectively as a member of a team and to take decisions for the good of HMSC.
It would be an advantage for the treasurer to be based reasonably locally to HMSC.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.